Chapter 21

---------- Chapter 21 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The noise in the background breaks my concentration. Footsteps?

Tanya and the meadow begin to fade. Tanya is still on her knees, on the ground, shaking. I wish I could hold her! She's fading fast. I blow her a quick kiss before I'm wrenched back to reality.

My eyes focus in on my surroundings once again. Jane sits on one of the lofty couches, watching me, irritation on her face. Her twin brother, Alec seems much calmer than Jane. But still, I fear Alec is the more dangerous and purely wicked of the twins.

A huge brawny guard stands somewhere behind me; he has to be Felix. He's the only member of the guard with no ability. Which means his physical prowess must be exceptional.

I whirl around to face the door, at the exact moment the door swings open. Three of the darkest cloaks approach, pitch black. This must be Aro, Marcus and Caius then.

"Henry Cullen!" Aro's feathery light voice reaches my ears.

"Aro," I nod curtly.

"You know me, then? Fabulous!" he thrills.

"What vampire wouldn't?" I mutter sarcastically.

"Ah, I see you have Edward's disposition. Now, tell me boy, how are you related to the Cullens?"

"I'm one of their many charity cases," I murmur, shrugging my shoulders. The less they know, the better.

The elder with platinum blond hair glides forward, wrapping his hand around my throat, knocking me into the wall, winding me. Just as suddenly, he lets me go and I crumple onto the floor.

Gasping for breath, I stand back up shakily.

"Gasping for breath? That wild thrumming of your heart? You cannot honestly believe us so gullible," the white haired one murmurs, a sadistic smile on his face.

"I have no idea what you could possibly mean," I mutter.

"Jane?" white hair calls, in a tone that matches his wicked grin.

That oh so familiar burning pain enfolds me once again. The pain this time is more severe than before. I let out a strangled moan before locking my jaw.

"Enough dear one!" Aro orders.

The burning stops, and I sink onto the floor, swallowing convulsively.

"Get our guest something to drink, Felix," Aro continues, his intense eyes on me.

"What do you want?!" I murmur, my voice barely above a whisper. "If you want to kill me, do it now! There's no need for talk!" I spit.

"Brother, you see how loyal the boy is," Aro chastises the white haired one.

"Aro, you hear the heart, you see the blood, you smell the stink! He is not worth our time!" whitey says.

"Caius, dear Caius, this young one may prove to be very useful," Aro murmurs, a smile in his voice. So, whitey has a name after all...Caius...

"Stand up, my boy," Aro murmurs kindly, holding his hand out for me. I glare at him, but stand up on my own. No way would I touch his hand, no way would I bare my soul to this devil!

"Henry, perhaps we could make a deal?" Aro offers.

"Thank you, but no thanks. I don't make deals with the devil," I mutter through clenched teeth. My rude remark is greeted by snarls from the vampires in the room. Jane even slinks into a crouch!

"Peace, dear ones, peace," Aro murmurs, amused.

"You are so spirited! Edward was always more controlled...who are you?" he asks again, this time his voice taking on a paternal tone.

"I told you. Charity case! What makes you think I'm even one of you?! You can hear my heart! You can smell my blood!" I exclaim. Time for a new tactic, I think.

"You mean you are not a vampire, then? Even better. Kill him. Now! He should not know our secret," Caius snarls, glaring at me.

"Okay, so I'm a vampire with a heart, am I? What? Did I go to Oz and meet the wizard?" I spit at him again.

"Enough!" Felix shouts, returning into the room with a chalice of red liquid in it. He holds the chalice out for me and I stare down at it. "You will not speak disrespectfully!" Felix orders me. He's huge, Felix is! He could probably take Emmett on, and somehow I don't think messing with him is the best idea I've ever had.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry," I whisper, shuffling my feet. Apologising has never been my strong suite.

"It's alright, young one," Aro murmurs in his honey-laced voice.

"Aro, he is not a human," Caius announces.

"Hmm, yes...but then, what is he?" Aro muses.

And before I know it, Aro has a vice-like grip on my hand. Knowing his ability, I read him as he reads me. I read his responses to my memories as he reads my responses to his.

I hear murmurs amongst the guards. People are wondering what's happening. Even Aro hasn't figured out what's happening.

Finally, an eternity later, Aro steps away from me, breaking our connection. He seems pensive, deep in thought.

"The boy is son of the hybrid," Aro announces.

"Another hybrid? The Cullens have gone too far!" Caius snarls.

Aro now knows everything about my family. Every memory I have is his. Every hushed conversation, every venomous thought, all the secrets between my family, all our weaknesses...he knows them all.

But now I know his secrets. I know everything there is to know about the Volturi, I know everything Aro has done century after century. He stands across the room assessing me, as I assess him.

"Welcome to the Volturi, Henry," Aro whispers.

"Who said I would join you?!" I spit at him.

"We both know your family will come to save you. We know that every single one of them will be killed...would you sacrifice your family? Would you sacrifice Carlisle, Esme, Edward, Bella, your parents...Tanya?" he asks quietly.

"If I join you...you won't harm my family?" I whisper in desperation.

"I give you my word," Aro murmurs.

I give him a tight nod, feeling sick! But what choice do I have?!

"Welcome to the Volturi, Henry," Aro repeats, his voice light as air, a huge smile on his face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys! I'm ending this story here for now. The next parts will be in my next story, in a sort of continuation. I'll upload as soon as I can, so keep an eye out for any new stories, okay?

I'll be calling the next story 'Crescent Moon'.

Cheers, and thanks for reading!