Chapter 14

~ Esme ~

----------- Chapter 14 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sit up and squint in the darkness. When did it get so late? I glance at the little clock on my bedside stand, it says 2 in the morning. I groan quietly and grasp my aching head.

I quietly walk down the stairs, but really shouldn't have bothered. The living room is ablaze with lights. It is packed with my family and the Denali family. Everyone is there except mum and dad who must be asleep. I stand at the base of the stairs, and all eyes are on me.

Bella takes my hand and gently pulls me into one of the empty armchairs. I sit down and take in my surroundings.

Bella is curled up in Edward's lap on the couch, with Alice and Jazz sitting close to each other beside them. Rose and Em are on the floor, leaning against each other, while Carlisle and Esme are perched on the bar stools. Kate and Garrett are huddled up in a corner, Carmen and Eleazar sit on the two seater, and Tanya sits on the armrest of my chair. Everyone seems to have been in a conversation, but now they all just stare at me.

"I guess...you want to know what happened at the clearing," I murmur, swallowing deeply. "I went to hunt, when I stumbled across the scent of human blood. I followed the scent and found a vampire hunched over a young girl. I lunged for the vampire, only to find out it was Castella," I continue and drop my eyes to the floor. "Castella ran. I checked on the girl...she was dead. I followed Castella to a clearing. Cas is vegetarian like us...or at least I thought she was. We were talking when Kain and his pack came into the clearing. Castella attacked Kain. I tried to stop them. Then I don't know what came over me. I pounced on Kain, knocking him off Cas. Then I heard a commotion. I ran back to the clearing..." and I shudder. "Cas had killed one of the wolves, the smallest one. I jumped on Cas. She knocked me down. She continued fighting with Kain. Kain ordered the other wolves to leave. But Achan came to protect him. Cas and him fought...and he died. Cas turned her attention back to Kain. But somehow...he managed to rip her apart. I couldn't believe it. I was on my knees, and then Julian attacked me. Kain saved me. Julian was about to kill Kain when I intervened. Julian said some stuff, then left," I conclude, still looking at my shoes.

"Are you hurt?" Esme asks, concern and love in her voice. I shake my head but don't reply.

And then, a thought suddenly comes to me. I close my eyes and concentrate, before I gasp in shock. "Edward! I was wrong!" I murmur.

Edward reads my mind and the both of us stare at each other. He reads my mind and I read his reaction and so it continues for ages.

Edward finally breaks the connection, and I slump back in my chair.

"Eleazar was right. Henry's power is something the Volturi have never seen before!" Edward murmurs, more to himself than anything. He pinches the bridge of his nose and begins pacing up and down, much to my amusement.

"Edward, what is it?" Bella asks quietly. They stare at each other for a couple of minutes before Edward looks at everyone, I think he was just adding some suspense.

"Henry is a mirror," Edward mumbles.

"A mirror?" Alice asks her curiosity piqued.

"Yes. So long as he knows anyone else's ability, he can use it. That's why he could read my mind, and why he was trying to figure out Eleazar's ability," Edward says, a grin on his face.

Carlisle lets out a low whistle and looks at me speculatively for a while.

"He never knew he could do it, until I explained it to him. Then I explained Kate's power to him. Within moments he had this mischievous grin on his face and he shook my hand. He used so much power and energy that I fell to my knees," Eleazar beams at the memory, as if he were actually proud of me.