Chapter 15

----------- Chapter 15 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The moment school ended, my whole family left for home. I opted to stay in school. The day was bright, and I figured I'd run a couple of laps around the track, and clear my mind. Anyway, so long as I stay in the sun, no pure vampire would dare to attack me. So, ironically enough, I guess being in the sun is the safest place for me.

Though, if I'm being honest with myself, the real reason I'm staying in school and running on the track is so my family wouldn't bother me. I need time away from all of them. I need an hour or so of being a normal teenage guy, or as normal as I could be.

I walk through the gym and into the changing rooms. I pull on a pair of trainers and a sleeveless shirt and lace up my sneakers. I jog out of the gym and start warming up on the track. Obviously I wouldn't really run at my normal speed, not here in the public.

The track and field club are sitting on the bleachers, doing god knows what. I ignore them and begin jogging slowly around the track. I hear a few of the guys bitching about how slow I am, I just smirk and continue jogging at my snail pace.

Eventually all the guys from the track and field begin doing their warming ups. They run past me easily, jeering as they pass. I just smile and continue running. Eventually one of the guys walks up to me. He holds a hand out to stop me from my jog. I stop and stare at him, an eyebrow raised.

"You're the Cullen kid, aren't you?" he asks in his pitchy voice. I shrug nonchalantly and wait for him to continue. "You know, the track is for real athletic-types," he continues, to an eruption of cheers from his friends.

"Oh really? I figured all the school facilities were open to any student who was keen to use them," I drawl, purposefully looking contemptuous.

"Look, kid, you're embarrassing yourself. Even my grandma could jog faster than you!" he smirks.

"I'm just warming up," I drawl again, trying to hide the grin that was trying to snake up my face.

"You were warming up for five laps? Yeah...whatever!" again, as if he owns them, all his friends laugh at his feeble attempt at humour.

"Okay, how about we have a race?" I challenge, shrugging nonchalantly.

"You want to race me? Do you know who I am?"

"No, but I bet you're about to tell me," I say with mock sweetness.

"I'm Joseph Radcliff! The fastest guy in school," he continues, blowing his own trumpet.

"Correction, you were the fastest guy in school...until I enrolled," I correct him smugly. Gosh! How I love goading humans!

"Oo, the little man is cocky!" he mocks. Ironically enough, Joseph is a full head shorter than me. I use this to my advantage and give him another condescending look. "Since you're so confident, Cullen, let's make things more interesting, shall we?"

"Bring it on," I murmur, haughtily.

"Okay, WHEN I beat you, you have to walk around in a dress for a week," he jeers.

"When I lose? Unlikely...but I suppose it can't hurt to try to be optimistic every once in a while. Now, if I win, you wear the dress for a week and you will wait on me hand and foot. Agreed?" I murmur, amusement on my face.

Joseph agrees willingly. We decide to run five laps around the track. Joseph is extremely sure I won't be able to do it. I just smile and keep quiet. He braces himself, and the moment the whistle is blown he shoots off. He's fast; for a human that is. I pace myself, enjoying his excitement. I slowly up my speed, and he keeps turning back in distraction.