Chapter 24- Do You Want The Good Or Bad News First?

Eren's POV

I woke up to bright lights. My eyes took a while to adjust, but when they did I saw I was in a hospital room. Wires were attached to my arms. I groaned as I sat up. I looked around to see no one in my room. I started to remember what happened. I collapsed. I looked to my side and saw a bunch of flowers with a note.

'Dear Dad,

We hope you get better soon!

Love from Jaden, Taylor, Mary and Levi.'

I frowned slightly at Levi's name but I smiled at the thought of Mary and her family caring for me. The door to the room opened and a woman in a white lab coat walked in.

''Ah Mr Yeager you're awake. You have been asleep for just over a day. I shall notify your mate and friends.''

''Wait! Don't tell my mate yet please.'' She gave me questioning look.

''May I ask why?''

''I just want to see my friends first please.'' She nodded and left. Mary, Jaden and Taylor came in and Jaden ran and jumped onto my lap.

''Jaden! Be careful!'' I laughed and hugged Jaden.

''Don't worry Mary it's okay.'' She gave me a sad smiled.

''Eren... I'm sorry.'' I gave her a concerned look.

''Why?''

''The doctor should probably tell you, when Levi is here. By the way why didn't you want to see him first?''

''You know why Mary. But why does a doctor have to tell me what you're sorry for?'' Mary was about to reply but she was cut off by a frantic Levi slamming the door open. He made eye contact with me and his eyes widened. He ran over to me and hugged me tightly. I didn't hug back.

Levi's POV

Flashback to the day Eren fainted

When we arrived at Eren's room he was hooked up to a life support system and he was sleeping. I saw Mary sitting next to him with puffy eyes. Jaden and Taylor ran to her asking her what was wrong. She looked up at me and gave me a sad smile before tears welled up in her eyes.

''What's wrong Mary?'' She shook her hand and held Eren's hand. The doctor walked in.

''Ah I assume you are Eren's mate? Mary said you'd be coming.'' He held his hand out for me to shake. I shook his hand.

''Yes I'm his mate. Levi Ackerman.''

''Okay well I have some good and bad news. You might need to sit down.'' Mary stood up and I sat in her place taking Eren's hand.

''Good or bad first?''

''Good.''

''Eren will wake up. He fell unconscious in the Café. Luckily the fall didn't do any damage...'' He trailed off and he gave me a sad smiled. Mary placed her hand on my shoulder.

''Now the bad news... But first I have a question... Does Eren smoke?'' My eyes widened.

''No anymore.''

''What do you mean not anymore?!'' Mary looked horrified. I sighed.

''Eren's Dad was abusive. He used to do drugs and smoke around him all the time, making him a second hand smoker. However he used to force Eren to take drugs and smoke as well. He gained a liking for them. To my knowledge the last time he smoked was about 3 months ago I believe. Why?'' The doctor sighed.

''Do you know how long Eren's Dad was making him smoke for?''

''I think about a year but I'm not sure.''

''Right there is no easy way to put this... We have done some tests on Eren's lungs and found a build-up in tar.'' My eyes widened.

''B-But his Dad left him when he was 16. He was 17 when he had one. But he hasn't had one since.''

''Well either you're not telling us something or Eren has been lying.'' I gave him a confused look.

''What are you going on about?!''

''The tar in Eren's lungs is both old and very recent.''

''Are you saying he has been smoking without me knowing?'' He nodded. I looked down at my hands.

''But he promised me he'd never touch one again! You're lying! He would never break a promise to me!''

''I'm afraid that isn't the only problem...'' Mary started sobbing.

''Levi... Eren has Lung Cancer...'' The words made me freeze.

''...W-What?'' I understand why Mary was crying.

''No! He can't!''

''I'm sorry Levi.''

''How bad is it?'' The doctor sighed.

''I think we should leave that conversation till Eren wakes up.'' He left the room.

Tears spilled from my eyes. I looked over to Eren and kissed his forehead. I started to walk out till Mary stopped me. I turned to face her.

''So you're just going to leave?''

''I have to go see some... people.'' She slapped me. I gave her wide eyes.

''How fucking dare you! You going to see your little fuck buddies? You going to cheat on Eren?! You're mate just got diagnosed with Cancer! Care more you bastard!'' I stared at her.

''Fuck buddies?'' She rolled eyes.

''Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. You have been neglecting Eren and coming home late because you're too busy fucking someone else! I can smell a Beta's scent all over you!'' I growled at her.

''No how dare you accuse me of cheating! That Beta scent you smell is my best friend Hanji's scent. I have been going to her to help her get over our two friend's deaths and she's been helping me!''

''Helping you with what?''

''A surprise for Eren!'' Her eyes widened but it soon turned to a glare.

''You expect me to believe that shit.'' I growled and my Alpha got the better of me. I punched the nearest wall causing Jaden and Taylor to squeal. I forgot they were there. I looked over to them. They were terrified...of me. My gaze softened.

''Mary... Believe what you will but Eren means more to me than my own Mother. I would never cheat on him. I leaving to calm down I'll be back tomorrow. Look after my Omega please.'' I left the room without a word and drove to Hanji's house.

When I arrived I broke down crying and Hanji comforted me. I told her everything. About how I treated Eren. About what Mary said. About Eren's... Cancer. Hanji comforted me and whispered to me.

''When he wakes up ask him...'' I broke away from her hug with wide eyes.

''B-But he hates me. If I ask him he will say no... I wouldn't be able to take that.''

''Then explain yourself. I will help if you need me to. Eren trusts me. He knows I would never lie to him. Just call me if you need me okay. I think you should go home and rest.''

''Thank you Hanji. For everything. I'm going to go to Carla in the morning and tell her. She has a right to know. He is her son after all.'' I left Hanji's house and went back to Eren and I's house.

I didn't get any sleep I just kept thinking of Eren. I haven't slept alone in months.