CHAPTER 32

Melissa POV

I stood at the window side staring at the clouded evening sky as an incoming thunderstorm threatened the calmness of the night.

A few days had passed since the incident and I had been having recurring nightmares. Terrifying scenes of that night kept unfolding right before my very eyes. I had tried my very best to be strong and forget all that happened however forgetting was never the easy way for me.

Intertwined with my tragic past, the explosions seemed decibels louder. I could still picture the look of malice on Chase's face as he hovered over me with blood filled intent. In his knife was a blood stained knife and he would hold it at my throat.

But occasionally I would see that I was with the knife instead and before me was the littered body of my brother and my mother. Father would blame me and wish I was never born then finally end me as well.

I sighed and felt the chilly breeze run through my unkempt hair. I thought of how I got so scared a few nights ago that I had broken down in Anthony's arms. He got so worried that he spent the entire night by my side, refusing to let go of me.

It honestly wasn't how I imagined my first night with a man to be like, but it was warmer than I thought. His arms protectively around me and my head against hard chest, his cologne making me want to feel like I was literally floating.

I slept like an infant that night, no nightmares, just Anthony and I. For the first time in a long time, I actually felt at peace there in his warm embrace.

''You're just being silly at this point, Melissa'' I chuckled and ran my hand down my face once I had caught myself smiling like a fool at the thought of Anthony. I had noticed we had gotten closer over the past few weeks but I couldn't dare the thought of us actually giving this marriage thing a shot.

He probably isn't even thinking of me. Why bother?

Before I could draw a conclusion, my phone rang and I moved away from the window to answer.

As I reached for the phone, excited pulsed through me as I found myself wishing it was Anthony. I had to admit, I had missed him quite a bit. Just a tiny bit though. Like an insignificant bit. Not that I was ever going to tell him that.

My face fell when my eyes finally landed on the caller ID.

My father.

My heart began to pick up pace. Him calling me was never good news. Something had happened and I was sure I wasn't going to like it.

I breathed in and out nervously and then answered the call.

''Good evening father''

''Good evening my child. How do you do?"

Wait....my?! Did I hear that correctly?!

''I...I am alright. I hope you are okay as well, father'' I gulped and let out.

''Your husband informed me of your unfortunate bowel problem ''My father said and a look of bewilderment drew on my face. I didn't know whether to laugh or go along with what he had just said to me, with absolutely no hint of amusement in his tone.

''I am sorry father but can you repeat yourself?"

''You have been hospitalized for constipation, have you not?" He voiced plainly and I stifled a laugh.

I clasped my hand over my mouth to prevent myself from cackling and made a mental note to kill Anthony for using constipation over all things as an excuse. And how could my old man have said that so nonchalantly.