CHAPTER 28

This chapter contains themes that may upset some readers.

Melissa POV

I blinked twice as I stared at him in surprise.

''May I kiss you?'' Those very words rang through my mind like a damn siren.

I was mentally prepared for some stunts this evening but for this kind of trick, I was completely caught off guard. I could feel heat rise up through my gown and it definitely wasn't due to the layered satin and lace nor the diamonds that lined up intricately on the outstanding artistry.

It all felt like a movie, I felt like time was suddenly non-existent and my whole life hung on a balance tipping in the direction of peace or destruction depending on the answer I gave to the man that stood before me, his loving blue eyes never leaving mine.

Turning to look at the cameras flashing before us, discomfort dawned over me and I turned back to him trying my best to muster a smile with all the pressure I was under.

Him asking for a kiss was one thing to make me astonished but asking for a kiss in front of the world, how was I to respond to that?

That'd be a bold move, one I would wish to take and shut down all my oppressors' but I couldn't bring myself to say yes.

Just when I thought I was gonna hurt him with my answer, he took my hand slowly and bent down to my ear, his lips brushing on them softly he began to whisper,

'' You have an amazing soul, Melissa. Remember that always and stand tall'' he then kissed traced his lips over my neck to my shoulder there he laid a delicate kiss.

Staring into my eyes as his lips left my skin, the lingering warm feeling remained.

There was an eruption of camera flashes and the mischievous smile that replaced his admiring smile brought me back to reality. He still managed to toy with the gossips whilst tugging my heartstrings in the process.

Fuck butterflies, there was a whole damn zoo in my stomach.

We advanced towards the staircase, his hands firmly holding mine and I was sure my knees would have given way if he was to let go of me.

Walking into the hall, I could hear the soft orchestrated music, my eyes widened in amazement at the sight before me. It spelt nothing but luxury and power as some of the most prominent faces I had only seen in newspapers and magazines roamed the halls of Chase's event at Hotel Dynasty owned by the McBridges themselves.

I did my homework on the five star establishment and I was amazed at how much revenue the business was earning him.

Hotel Dynasty was the on the top 5 most luxurious wonders of Sandburry list and it welcomed celebrities and personalities from all over.

Chase McBridge wasn't just anyone, he had an entire empire in the palm of his hands and yet the Ramirez bloodline held a sharp knife on his throat.

Anthony Ramirez to be very specific.

In other words, Chase flaunters his wealth, puts them on fine display, to be on the highest pedestal in the world, a venomous snake vaunting its dark dahlia tinted striking skin, whilst hiding among the dense thicket, attacking its prey and compelling them to submit.

However, ruling from the sky the untouchable limit,was Anthony Ferdinand Ramirez, keeping to himself what he deems to be private such as his treasures whilst wrecking fear in the heart of the Ophidians that slither for prey.

Just like the eagle its watchful eye never missed a thing and once it had its target locked, its talons digs skin deep as it grabs its frail victim and mercilessly rips it to shreds. Whilst maintaining his untainted reputation, he discreetly lays bare his talons and gets the work done to remain on top.