CHAPTER l

Years later

Trash, trash, trash, bullcrap and more trash I groaned audibly as I went through the mail Carl had dropped on my desk earlier this morning.

If debt has trash as a connotation, then that was definitely what I meant.

I heard a knock on my door and before I could yell, Come in Carl had already let himself in.

Well if it isnt my favorite secretary! I chimed and gave him an obvious fake smile as I eyed the pile of papers in his hands.

Well if it isnt my favorite,single nepo baby!  He chimed back and I mumbled a curse word under my breath.

This here is the financial statement from last month and hopefully youre done sorting out the mail cause this right here is more hectic. You know, you should be more grateful that I help you out with your work without complaining you knowand without pay for two months He muttered the end part so I dont hear.

I sighed and mouthed a thank you in his direction.

It wasnt like he was wrong. In fact he was one of the only few employees who stayed after our company hit rock bottom some months ago and things have been really hard since then. Things were never easy but they were never this hard either.

Once things get better you know Ill treat you_

Meh meh enough of that, its best you go through that quickly. Im going to try my best and finish up the rest He cut in and without another word walked out. I sighed and ran my hands on my face.

I stared at the heap on my table and let out a breath I was holding in. Please save me I muttered and sat behind my desk.

Just then my door opened again and Carl stuck his head through the door.

Oh and I almost forgotthe boss wants to see you. I advise you make it snappy, hes in one of those moods again

Isnt he always? I asked him rhetorically and forced a smile.

He gave me a warning glare and left without another word. I only giggled and followed him out. Taking a left turn on the corridor I approached a dark door and stared at the sign on the door.

CEO I whispered, took deep breaths and knocked on the door.

Come in I heard and I obeyed.

Good afternoon, sir. You called for me? I asked and stood exactly 5 meters away from his desk as he had taught me to.

Yes I did. Sit down child He instructed and I quickly did so. Not too fast, not too slow, just as he taught me.

I would like you to run an errand for me, child but before thatdo you remember all that I taught you about upholding our family name and the company? He asked me and I nodded.

Recite it then He ordered.

The Ross family is family of honor and of great establishment. Our fathers and those before them worked restlessly and sacrificed their lives to build an empire and it is the responsibility of each and every single individual of the Ross bloodline to follow suite, ready to sacrifice blood, sweat and tears I recited the words he had beaten right into me as a kid.

Of course I wouldnt forget any word, he had me reciting it every morning before breakfast and every night before bed

Good child. Now go email this at once He told me sternly and handed me a white envelope.

I hesitated a bit and stared at the envelope for a while. His gaze suddenly became a bit more stern on me and I hurriedly rushed for it.

At the post office? I asked and he gave me an obvious look.