CHAPTER 19

After taking a quick shower, I raced out of the washroom and grabbed my undergarments. I was too excited to sleep last night and found myself weirdly talking to the moon about how finally I was about to take charge of my life starting with my position instatement.

''Mrs. CEO, Mrs. CEO'' the thought of it alone made me giggle as what I had been preparing for all my life came alive yesterday. Not like I had a choice with my profession but at least all those years of training didn't go to waste.

I put on my office clothes and grabbed my heels from the chair I placed them on. Rushing to the mirror, I struggled to put them on and once the battle was over, I stood tall in the mirror staring at myself.

''Oh the necklace'' I mumbled and walked towards the jewelry box. Staring at my mom's ring safely placed at the corner of the box, I smiled sadly and ran my hands down the diamonds. My eyes then travelled to the ring on my finger and my smile faltered.

''What do I do, mom? I don't know if I truly like him or not....and he has Rachel....I'm just so lost mom. I could really use your help with all this'' I whispered and sighed audibly.

Even after receiving such a huge task from Anthony I could hardly think straight as I tried to detangle the tangled cords called my feelings.

I then decided to take Carl's advice to go with the flow. Spending hours contemplating on it wouldn't solve anything.

It'd be best if I just focused on what laid ahead of me. The Collaboration Project.

Chase wasn't someone I could trust but the fate of this project rested on how much I tolerate his crap. He was lying about the whole murder thing, he had to be lying.

There was no way that same man I almost kissed yesterday would be capable of hurting anyone, intentionally that is.

Closing the jewelry box, I grabbed my bag and walked out of the room. In stretched tiredly as the chilly air from the windows hit my face. ''Today's going to be a great day'' I affirmed and began to make my way towards the stairs.

Walking down the staircase, I spotted Antho2ny downstairs heading towards the kitchen. My face beamed with joy all of a sudden and I raced to go join him, my heels making loud clanking sounds on the stairs.

His coffee was already brewed and on the counter was my cereal bowl, spoon, milk and of course the cereal itself. He had set everything up for me and he stood by the coffee machine pouring himself a cup of coffee.

The smell of lavender and cologne filled the kitchen and I couldn't help but label it as my new addiction.

''Good morning Anthony'' I chirped happily and took a seat behind the kitchen island. He turned to me and nodded, but that was when I noticed his dark eyebags had appeared once again. He looked terrible as though he didn't have a wink of sleep last night.

Was this Rachel's doing?

She had been away for a bit but then popped back in the house last night, shooting glares at me and trying desperately to flirt with Anthony. I really tried to forget her existence, I really did but the snob just had to pop in.

''Hello Melissa, hope you rested well'' He asked me and forced a smile on his exhausted face.

''I did but you clearly did not. What happened?'' I asked him as I poured cereal into the bowl.

''Just a harmless nightmare, nothing to worry about'' he muttered and I could tell he was lying.

''Oh is that so? I find it hard to believe that a nightmare could cause so much damage. You look like a zombie'' I told him with a forced laugh and it took a while before he realized that was my desperate attempt to make him smile.