CHAPTER 25

Melissa POV

''Cat got your tongue, Mr. Ramirez?'' I asked him with the brightest smile I could muster. Anthony had his beady ocean blues stuck on me as the look of surprise and bewilderment on his face.

At that exact moment, I wished I could take a picture to capture that flabbergasted expression that I had rarely see him have.

He let out a throaty chuckle at my question and stroked his stubble thoughtfully. I knew he'd have a lot of questions for me once we left the Endeavor Motors building but I hadn't yet come up with a solid lie on how I obtained enough information to get the Chase McBridge wagging his tail behind us.

I mentally praised myself and my lips formed a slight smile. Things were finally going my way for once, from getting Anthony the deal, to getting accepted at my workplace, to being acknowledged by Anthony for all those years I worked my ass off--my sweat, blood and tears--to earning such a priceless reaction from Chase after using his own foul play against him.

I couldn't feel more accomplished, and I was just getting started.

But then I hadn't thought of what to actually tell this man who couldn't take his eyes of me with a tinge of pride in his eyes.

He sure knew how to make a girl feel confident.

I mean the wisest thing was to tell him about that strange person that texted me and provided me with enough dirt to take that scoundrel down but I wanted to be cautious in dealing with this Lune person whoever he or she was.

''What exactly do I tell him? That it was delivered to me in my sleep by the fairy of blackmail and exploitation?'' I thought and bit the insides of my mouth.

Maybe if I was lucky enough he would just overlook the whole documents thing.

''Where did you actually get evidence of that sort to threaten him?"

Blast!

'' I understand that my actions were quite suspicious and you have every right to know where I got the documents from but just not now, alright? I'll tell you when the time's right but....but not today'' I had to say with my fingers crossed hoping he'd buy such an excuse.

Anthony is a strategist, one of the wisest I knew, my request probably made me seem even more suspicious than he had already perceived me to be and I was quite sure he was still going to press on for an answer.

''Yes ma'am, whatever you wish'' He suddenly gave in and I almost spun my head off as I turned to face him to confirm if I heard him right. My mouth formed an 'O' in surprise and I resisted the urge to pump my fist in the air and scream "sublime!".

''Thank you'' I rather softly whispered.

He smiled back at me and reached into his pocket for his car keys.I sighed in relief and laid my head back on the headrest quite glad that I was able to dodge an interrogation--at least for now.

He started the car and we drove out of the Endeavour Motors parking lot. A wave of calmness washed over me once that dark building was out of sight and I kicked my heels off my feet and let out an exhausted yawn.

''Do you mind if I turn on the radio?" I enquired and he shook his head giving me the go-ahead.

The soothing sounds of good old 2000s RnB filled the car and I hummed along to Brandy's classic Right Here as I tapped my fingers on the dashboard, absorbed in the melodious rhythm.

Looking out the window, I turned my focus towards the buildings we were speeding past and realized I hadn't really taken notice of how picturesque this part of the town was. Thinking of it, I never really had time explore places and food outside my dad's radar.