Blue Flower

{36}

"Unfinished business?" I repeated, frowning at the possibility. "The Rogue Force is finishing Maxwell's last task to find me and what? Kill me?"

"I'm sure that was Maxwell's plan, although it's likely The Rogue Force may have another agenda." Theo replied, sitting up straight.

I shook my head. "What benefit does The Rogue Force get from this? You would think they wouldn't care about honouring Maxwell's intentions before he died, since he isn't paying them to do any of this."

He nodded thoughtfully in agreement, his jaw tightening. "I thought the same. My theory is that killing you is more personal to The Rogue Force, specifically Killian, than we think."

I raised my eyebrows at this in surprise and sighed uneasily. "You think Killian has his own personal reason to kill me? What did I do to him?"

Theo carefully took in my uneasiness with concern before smirking. "It doesn't matter, he'll never get to you. Not on my sight."

"Or mine." I added, reminding him of my strength. 

"Or yours, love." He said in acknowledgment, smiling down at me with wonder. "My little Alpha."

I smiled as my heart warmed at his words, feeling the mate bond hum between us. My wolf huffed at the back of my mind catching my attention. "I'm not little! Tell him your wolf is strong!" She huffed in defiance. 

Feeling amused, I fought the urge to roll my eyes and instead said, "My wolf is pretty strong you know, not that little."

Theo's striking blue eyes glinted as he tilted his head at me in amusement. "I bet your wolf told you to say that." He laughed, taking in my surprised features. When a lock of my hair slipped out of place, he was quick to take the opportunity to tuck it behind my ear. 

"Okay, I admit he's pretty sharp." My wolf admitted. 

"Yeah, she was quite vocal about the word 'little'." I remarked with a smile. My smile wavered as I remembered his story about his past, he's been through a lot as a child. 

"I admire the fact that you've become the man you are today, despite your childhood." I said, saying every word with sincerity. "Your mum was so strong, and so were you."

Theo stayed quiet for a few moments before responding with his dimpled smile. "Yeah, my mum was very strong." He agreed. 

I noticed how he didn't agree with the other part of my sentence. "You were also strong Theo, to have been able to have gone through all that and still come out strong as a leader. I'm sure your mum would be proud."

Theo still looked apprehensive, he clearly didn't agree with me completely. "I've always hoped that mum is proud of me." He started to say, glancing up at the sky. "You say I was strong as a kid, but do you know I was not able to stop Maxwell from beating my mother? The first time I tried to, fuck, I was locked in a bathroom for three days."

I shook my head at him, pained at his perception of himself. "You were a freaking child, Theo. No one expects a child to be able to stop a full grown Alpha from hurting anyone, it's just not realistic. You did what you could."

"Even so, if I hadn't gone on that stupid trip to New York, maybe my mum would still be alive today." He added frustrated, running his hand through his hair. I've never seen him this vulnerable, he looked pained as he spoke of his mother.

I grabbed his face and faced him so that he could only look at me.

"Listen to me. You don't know that. You going on that trip can't possibly correlate with your mother's death, so stop thinking like that. It's completely fine to mourn her passing, but it's also important to celebrate the life she once had. She had gained unconditional love from her son throughout her time here, something she needed and thrived off from. I'm sure she's resting happily now, looking down at you from above, feeling proud of what her son has accomplished."