Chapter 4

"Ah, David my boy," Derek grinned at him. "Wasn't expecting you so soon. I was just trying to woo this gorgeous woman before you interrupted."

David's scowl deepened as he noticed they were still holding hands.
"And that gorgeous woman happens to be my wife!"
He gritted.

Derek's eyes widened. He looked at Annabelle who was watching in amusement and back at David
"Man, are you kidding?"

"Do I look like I am?"

"Damn, I didn't know."
Derek said but still didn't release her hand.

"It's okay, it isn't your fault."
Annabelle said with a smile and David frowned, still noticing their entwined hands.

"Can you let go of my wife now?"

Derek slowly let go.
"But damn, David! How can your best friend not know that you're married?"

Wow best friend? I didn't know my husband had a bestie.

"If I remember correctly, you just got back from a two month business trip to Spain." David replied. "And I never knew I would end up getting married while you were away."

Annabelle swallowed but said nothing.

"But you should have told me on phone, man."

"And would you have left the almighty contract to attend my wedding?"
David asked arching a brow.

"I might have."
Derek replied seriously.

"Alright man, my bad." David said with a small smile. "Just see it as my surprise welcome back present to you."

"Ugh! You aren't forgiven."
Derek said, pretending to sulk and Annabelle smiled. He was adorable.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise."
David said with an eye roll.

He walked to Annabelle's side and surprisingly to her, he placed a kiss on her cheek as his hand circled her waist.

"Derek, meet my beautiful wife, Annabelle and Annabelle, Derek, the pig head that has the privilege of being my favorite friend. And mind you, he is bad news to women."

Derek grinned. "It's not my fault that women always like me."
He wiggled his brows at Annabelle.

"Well I can assure you that my wife is not included." David snapped and Derek grinned the more.

"Alright man, calm down will you? Jeez!" He smiled at Annabelle. "A pleasure meeting you Mrs Maxwell."

"Same here, Derek."
She smiled back.

"David is a very lucky man," he continued. "But you're definitely not lucky to have married him."

He fled from the office as David lunged towards him. Annabelle laughed and David shook his head with a smile.

"I'll wait downstairs!" He called from the other side of the door and they heard his footsteps as he walked away.

"He's right, you know." Annabelle commented. "I don't see myself as the luckiest woman in the world to have married you."

"Was that why you were flirting with him in my office?"
He asked with a serious expression.

"I wasn't flirting with him." She snapped. "Besides, why do you care?"

"Unfortunately I don't."
He said smoothly.

Right, he doesn't.

"And that's a point I want to make now." He continued. "This marriage might be based on a contract but in the public eye, it shouldn't look like it."