Chapter 38

Annabelle didn't know how she had managed to divert the children's attention to something else as the silence became unbearable. But she succeeded in waving away the question. For now.

"How does that sound darlings?" She grinned widely. Too widely.

"An evening with Barney?" Sandra asked with wide excited eyes.

"Perfect!" Samuel cried in excitement.

"Thought so too." She said, the grin still on her face.
She glanced at David and he was looking at her so intensely that her breath caught and she had to look away.

❤️🤍❤️

"I'm sorry."

She turned to look at him but his gaze were on the kids who were having a fun time with the Barney character.

"For what?" She asked.

"For not being there for you and the kids when I was supposed to." He said.

She looked away. "It's not your fault. You didn't know."

"If I had..."

"David," she cut in. "They're all in the past and should not be revisited. Let's just focus on the now and the future."

He sighed then turned to look at her. "We need to talk. About us." 

Her heart began to pound heavily at his words but she took a deep breath to reduce her tension.

"There's nothing to talk about." She said firmly. "The kids are our only priority and the reason why we are even standing this close to each other right now. You have chosen your future," she turned to look at him. "And I have chosen mine."

"And your future is Dominic Samuels I suppose?" He asked drily.

She looked at him sharply. "Just as Chanel is yours."

"Are you in any way trying to get back at me for what happened in the past?"

She scoffed. "That would be low of me."

"You can't marry Samuels." He said huskily.

"Excuse me?" She looked at him in disbelief. "I am an adult and I have the right to marry whoever I choose."

"That person should not be Samuels." He said firmly.

"Oh yeah?" She spat. I don't remember me being your younger sister so why do you even care?"

"Well because...I don't want him that close to my children."

Of course. It was only because of his kids.

"What a flimsy excuse." She said in disappointment. "Well, I'm sorry but you have to accept the fact that the kids would be close with whoever I marry, be it Dominic or anyone else."

She turned away and fixed her gaze on the children, aware of his angry stare on her.

***

They all arrived home after a long night but the children were still bubbly and bright eyed so they decided to see a movie together over some pop corn.

David's phone rang and he glanced at the caller and sighed. Annabelle sneaked a side glance at his phone and saw that it was Chanel.

"Hello..." he answered. "...I just got into the house..." he sighed. "I can't, maybe tomorrow? I need to be..." he sighed deeply. "This isn't necessary... Fine, I'll be there shortly."

She watched him talk to the kids, telling them he had to run a quick errand and would be back soon.

He barely told her he would be back soon and left the house as anger and jealousy surged through her.