Chapter 36

"No way!" Annabelle exclaimed.

David sighed from the other side of the phone call.
"Why are you so stubborn? It's just for a night, woman."

"And I said no." Annabelle insisted stubbornly.

"Tomorrow is Saturday, they do not go to school on Saturday so what else is the problem?" He asked wearily.

"I cannot risk my kids spending a night in your apartment when you have a crazy fiancée." She spat.

"Chanel is not coming to my apartment today. And even if she were, she won't be seeing neither the kids nor I because I intend to take them to our...to my home." He said gently.

Their home. He still kept the house? She thought he must have sold it after their divorce.

She shook her head. He knew he was going to start another family so why not keep the house?

It wasn't as if he kept it because...

"Annabelle?"

She blinked. "N-no. I insist."

David sighed deeply in weariness. "Your stubbornness is out of this world."

"I don't feel comfortable letting my little kids sleep out." She said drily.

"I am their father for F*ck's sake!" He gritted angrily.

"And I am their mother and I have the right to..."

"Sweetheart?"

She halted and turned to face her mother who just entered the room.

"Let me talk to him dear." Ingrid said and let out her hand.

"Mum?"

"Come on." She collected the phone from her and Annabelle just stared at her.

"Hello David, good morning...I am well thank you and how are you?...Oh my stepping down has been really relaxing and my darling daughter has shown me that she's more than capable..." She smiled at Annabelle who smiled back. "Oh that she is. I'm very grateful that we found each other..." She paused, then laughed out loud.

Annabelle shook her head. This wasn't going to end well. He was trying to charm her mother!

"Oh yes! And your father and I still have scores to settle... Hahaha, Of course, will do... So to the issue at hand right now, I couldn't help but overhear your conversation with Anna and I understand that you want to create a physical bond with your children..."

Annabelle waited with bated breath.

"...So the kids will be having a sleepover at your place tonight."

Annabelle's eyes widened. "What?"

"But," Ingrid continued and there was silence. "Their mother will also be sleeping over at your place tonight."

This time, Annabelle's heart stopped. "Mum!"

"Hope you don't have a problem with that David?... Good, it's settled then. Have a good day my boy." Ingrid said with a mischievous smile and hung up then turned to face her daughter. "Darling..."

"What was the meaning of that mum?" Annabelle asked in surprise and confusion.

"My dear, can't you see that he's only trying to make up for lost years?" Ingrid reasoned.

"I don't care," Annabelle replied stubbornly. "I didn't even want him to know they were his."

"But he already knows." Ingrid said gently. "You have to give him a chance to prove what kind of father he can be to his kids. Even the children need him, dear. Do you how many times they've asked me whether I know where their daddy was? And I'm sure they ask you too. Please my dear, just give him a chance and if he proves to not be a good father to them then we'll keep them away from him totally."