Chapter 26

I preheat the oven to 350 and cover the lasagna in aluminum foil before putting it in.

I decide I want to get cleaned up, so I run upstairs and grab a towel before running into the shower. I hear the door open downstairs.

"Lasagna's in the oven, I'm gonna take a shower," I call, before heading into the bathroom.

I peel off my clothes, including the jeans which now have sweat stains all over them from riding Ace so hard bareback. Only an equestrian would understand where those stains came from.

I opt out of hot water, letting the cool water rinse off the sweat from the previous events today. I just want to forget it happened.

I never thought Troy would be so awful. He always seemed like the perfect guy to me.

I mean, the day he asked me out I was so excited I couldn't shut up about it. I thought I was so lucky that Troy, one of the most popular guys in school, had asked me out.

He was always buying me cute little presents and taking me on surprise dates, like the cave.

But now he's turned dark and scary. I feel like I was blind to think that I was the lucky one. 

I guess hindsights 20/20.

Once I get out of the shower, I get my hair off my shoulders by tying it back in a messy bun, and pulling on a pair of grey sweats and a baby blue tank.

I head back downstairs and take the food out of the oven. I move the lasagna to two seperate plates and set them on the counter.

"Colton, diinner's ready," I call, grabbing forks from the silverware drawer and setting them on the plates.

He doesn't answer, so I figure he went back out to the barn.

I walk outside and call after him again

"Colton! Food's ready!" I call. When he still doesn't reply, I head out to the barn.

"Colton?"

I shake my head and walk over to Flame's stall. Our properties pretty big. He could be anywhere from the riding ring to any number of paddocks to somewhere in the house. I'm not really worried about it.

I twirl Flame's forelock around my fingers, smiling at her.

"Hey pretty girl," I coo.

Taylor told me that she had started training Flame during her senior year, just before- well, I guess you could say before we met. She always said Flame would make a great jumper, and although I'll take her over a few crossrails and oxers in the ring, I've never shown her. Maybe I'll start next year.

I hear someone walk in on the other side of the barn, and I smile.

"Hey Colton, I was just coming out to tell you dinner's ready," I chime, turning to face him.

My stomach drops.

It's not Colton.

In fact, it's the opposite.

"Troy, what are you doing here?" I ask, keeping my voice strong.

"I just dropped my to see my girlfriend."

I try and fail to suppress a snort. "I am not your girlfriend. I made that perfectly clear to you."

"Funny, I don't seem to remember that," he coolly replies, looking into Ezhno's stall. "This is Taylor's horse, right?"

"Get away from him," I quietly state, anger apparent in my voice.

"Fine, fine," he chuckles, raising his hands in mock surrender. He walks a little closer to Flame and I. I want to back away, but I don't want to leave my horse unguarded. I don't trust him.