Chapter 33

Ariel's POV 

        The pain has dulled a bit, but it is still there, still reminding me that I'm alive.

        I am alive.

        My lips twitch upward at the thought- which causes me to freeze. 

        Did I just move? Am I awake?

        I focus my energy on trying to open my eyes, but darkness remains the only thing I can see.

        "Carter, come here," a voice calls. The voice is familiar and comforting- it sounds like Taylor.

        I hear the shuffling of feet somewhere around me, which is accompanied a moment later by a voice that I recognize as Carter's.

        "What is it?" he asks. I try to open my eyes, but still, nothing happens.

        "She- her lips moved. It looked like she was trying to smile," Taylor says, her voice sad.

        Carter sighs. "It was probably just an involuntary muscle movement, Taylor."

        "I know, its just- Carter, its been two weeks," she whispers, her voice shaky. "I don't understand how you can go into a coma from a gunshot if its not to the head."

        "The doctor's already explained it to us, remember," Carter states softly. "She lost so much blood when Troy shot her that it compromised her brain function temporarily."

        "What if its not temporary? What if she just stays like this- forever?" Taylor sniffles. She's crying. I wish I could tell her I'm okay, that I'm awake, that I can hear her- but then a thought goes through my mind.

        What if I stay like this forever? Able to hear and feel things around me, but unable to move, to talk? That's no way to live.

        Maybe I made the wrong choice. 

        Maybe I should have just died.

        "Taylor, don't think like that. She'll wake up eventually," Carter soothes, though I can hear the uncertainty in his voice. 

        They both stay silent for a while, before Taylor changes the subject.

        "Have you seen Colton lately? I've been worried about him."

        "Not since Tuesday," Carter responds. "He still won't come into the room- just stands outside and watches her through the window."

        Taylor deeply exhales. "He's falling apart," she whispers. "I don't know how to reach him. I've tried talking to him but- its like he hears me, but doesn't comprehend the words I'm saying."

        I mentally cry out, but nothing happens. I want to scream, I want to cry, but I can't.

         More than that, I want Colton. I want to hear his voice, even if I can't respond to him. I want him to come in here and hold my hand, and to tell me everything will be all right. I want Colton. 

         I feel a hand grab mine. Its fairly small and smooth, so I assume its Taylor's. She rubs circles into the back of my hand, which offers me a bit of comfort, if not much.

        Suddenly, a phone rings. 

        "Sorry Taylor, I have to take this," Carter mumbles.

        "It's okay," Taylor replies.

        A door opens and shuts, signaling Carter's exit.