Chapter 2

Taylor blushes and leans into Carter, who is smiling widely.

"I guess I forgot to take the ring off,"
she chuckles, before turning to face us. "We were going to wake till dinner tonight's to tell you guys but- yes. We're engaged!"

Carter and Taylor kiss, causing me to hold back a gag. But, I can't help but smile at the thought of them getting married. They are perfect for each other, and they've been through so much together.

"Oh my god," Mom squeals. "My baby's getting married!"

"Oh mom," Taylor chuckles, before Mom squeezes the breath out of her in a tight hug.

Dad looks surprisingly grim for such great news, but I brush it off as fatherly protection instincts.

"Did you tell your parents yet," I question, jabbing Carter in the chest with my finger.

"Again, we were going to tell you at dinner. But my brilliant fiancé forgot to remove the ring from her finger. So, no my parents don't know yet," he chuckles.

At the mention of the ring, I snatch Taylor's hand and closely examine it.

"Oh my god it's gorgeous," I chime musically, letting her hand drop.

Mom smiles, and absentmindedly glances at her watch.

"Oh my gosh! We have to be at the restaurant in half an hour!" she shouts.

And just like that, everyone makes a beeline to get ready- including me. I rush to my bedroom, and slam my door shut.

The moment I'm behind closed doors, I peel my skinny jeans and baggy tank top off.

I rummage through my closet and pull out a short, light blue dress with 3/4 length sleeves. The restaurant isn't really formal, so the dress should be find. Plus, with summer approaching everyone's been wearing summery dresses like this.

I pull it on, and slip on a pair of brown boots with an inch heel. I use a curling iron and fix my hair into loose curls, before applying a light layer of natural looking makeup.

I glance at myself in the mirror and smile. I look presentable.

I run down the stairs and realize I'm the first to be ready. I pull out my phone, and dial Troy's number.

"Hello?" he groggily answers after a few rings.

"Hello sleepy," I chuckle. "So, I have to go to a family dinner tonight and was wondering if you wanted to come."

"Sure, I'll be there," he replies. "Wait, one more question. Where is this family dinner?"

"Just come to my house and you can ride with us," I laugh. "Bye Troy"

"See you soon babe."

I hear the phone click on the other end. And let's just say I swoon a little bit.

I don't know how I caught Troy's eye. He's the quarterback on our school's football team, straight A student, super popular- basically the definition of 'Golden Boy.'

And let's face it- I'm just not who you would picture him going out with. He should be with a peppy, perfect cheerleader.

But he chose me, and I don't question it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I slip outside to the barn to go see Flame before I leave. The moment I enter, she pokes her head out and whinnies.

"Hey girl," I coo, stroking her forelock. I just stand there for a moment and pet her till I hear footsteps behind me.