Chapter 5

I tug on Flame's girth for the third time, checking again that it's tight. Two days ago my saddle flipped, so I think I have the right to be a tad paranoid.

"Where do you want to ride?" Colton asks.

I tilt my head thoughtfully, mentally reviewing our choices.

"I'm thinking- maybe down to the spring?" I half ask, half state.

"Sounds good to me," he agrees, climbing up onto Whisper. I follow his lead and swing myself onto Flame.

We simultaneously push the horses into a walk, bringing them side by side.

"I'm so happy it's finally summer," I sigh, smiling at the lush green scenery.

"Agreed," he chuckles.

We slip into a comfortable silence, the only sound being the muffled beats of the horses hooves.

I feel Flame start to get antsy, wanting to pick of speed.

I give her permission to speed up, and in moments she's at a slightly lazy lope.

"What are you doing?" Colton calls, asking Whisper to pick up speed.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" I retort, digging my heels into Flame's side, thrusting her into a gallop. I smile, and cry out, as if answering my rhetorical question, "I'm flying."

We follow the trail at a lightning fast pace, before we come to the steep downhill that leads to the spring. If I look thought the leaves, I can see the glimmer of the sun on the clear blue water.

I stop Flame, and wait for Colton and Whisper. When they catch up, I turn my head to face them.

"Should you go first or should I?" I question, raising an eyebrow.

"Ladies first," he laughs, Whisper snorting in agreement.

I press my heels lightly into Flame's side, urging her down the hill. We've gone down a million times before, but I always get a queasy feeling.

Slowly, she takes sure footed but cautious steps. I lean slightly back, trying to take my weight off her shoulders- literally.

"That's it girl- we're halfway there," I whisper reassuringly.

She steps forward, and she must lose her footing because next thing I know, she starts to fall.

We both hit the ground hard, before our bodies slide down the steep hill. In the process, I bang my head on a rock or something. Finally, we come to a stop.

"Ariel!" Colton calls. I vaguely notice him jump off his horse from my spot on the ground.

He comes down the hill as quickly as humanly possible, at my side in moments.

"Ariel, are you okay," he asks, worry written all over his expression.

"I- I think so," I state, trying to sit up, and wincing. My leg is caught under Flame.

Flame.

"Is she okay?" I shriek, my head pounding and my ears ringing.

Colton moves over by her head and nods.

"She's fine. Just scared."

He clutches her reigns and helps her stand up. She takes a few steps forward, and its evident her front left leg is injured- not badly, but enough to give her a limp.

The pounding in my head becomes more painful, and the edged of my vision go fuzzy.

"Colton," I murmur, "Colton I feel dizzy."

My vision gets fuzzier but I vaguely feel someone helping me to lay flat on the floor.

"Ariel stay awake- Ariel, damn it, don't you dare pass out on me," he growls, but I can tell he's not angry.

He's scared.

"Colton," I call, my voice barely a whisper, before the fuzzy black darkness I've been fighting off takes over.

A/N

No she's not going to die, she just hit her head.

Just clearing that up.

Sorry for the long wait but ice been staying after school till 9 every day for rehearsals.

TONIGHT IS OPENING NIGHT!!!!

I hope it goes okay.

Thanks for reading my lovelies.

Vote and Comment!