Chapter 22

"Are we almost there?" I ask, watching out the window as we pass through seemingly neverending scenery. "We've been driving for like an hour."

"Yeah, we're almost there," he laughs, turning down an eerlly familiar road. Why am I getting a sense of deja vu?

We pull into a hospital parking lot, causing me to frown.

"Our first date is at a hospital? Romantic," I sass, rolling my eyes.

A surge of annoyance flushes through me due to the familiarity of this place that I cant place. I've been here before. I just know it.

"Colton- why did we drive so far away? There's a hospital about fifteen minutes from home," I question, still trying to pinpoint the reason why I know this place.

"Patience Ariel. You'll understand in time," he chuckles. I playfully glare at him, and look out the window.

We pull around to the west wing of the hospital and park beside the pediatrics playground. Its empty, as is expected- kids staying in the hospital don't usually play outside.

Colton climbs out of the car and walks around to my side, opening the door for me.

"I know I've been here before I just don't know why," I mutter, earning me a knowing glance from Colton.

I walk ahead of him and up to the playground, laying a hand on the swingset and closing my eyes. I was here, I know it. I was here.

I inhale sharply, my eyes snapping open, once I realize why its so familiar.

How could I forget?

This is the hospital- the one we came to after Carter got shot. When Taylor used to visit Carter in the hospital, I'd tag along to see Colton. One day, he was feeling really well, and we convinced the nurse to let him go down the playground with me. She had to come, too, though. We hung out for about half an hour. We sat on the swings for most of the time, just talking about kid stuff.

I turn to face Colton and close the distance between us. I press my lips to his tenderly, and stand on his toes. He reaches a hand up to hold the back of my neck.

When we break apart, I look up at him, a smile on my face. "I can't believe you'd think of this," I whisper.

"I wanted it to be perfect," he mumbles, a small blush creeping up on his face. I giggle and press a kiss to his cheek.

"I love you, Colton," I whisper, laying my head on his shoulder. He wraps an arm around me, holding me close.

"I love you, too."

I turn and head towards the swing set, taking a seat. I pat the swing beside me, motioning for him to sit by me. He happily obliges.

We swing for a little while before my stomach makes a slightly embarrassing noise due to hunger. A low, rumbling laugh escapes Colton, earning him a glare from me.

"Did you happen to bring food," I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, actually," he chuckles, getting up and heading back to the car. He comes back with a picnic basket, and sets it onto the floor.

I smile when he pulls out a blankets and lays it out beside the slide. He sits down on the blanket and starts rifling through the basket.

I walk over and sit down beside him, tilting my head.

"What have you got?" I question

"Fried chicken and mashed potatoes," he states, pulling out a few paper plates.

"Did you cook it? Because I'd like to avoid food poisoning," I laugh. He rolls his eyes at me.

"As would I- my Mom cooked it," he laughs.

I smile at the thought of his mom's food. She is a fantastic cook.

Colton pulls out the food, and distributes it between us. Without wasting any time, I start shoveling food into my mouth.

"Oh my god," I moan, enjoying the deliciousness of the food. Colton watches me, amused. I raise an eyebrow. "What? You've seen me eat before. Did you expect me to start acting all shy and nervous when I eat now that we're dating."

He laughs and shakes his head. "You, shy and nervous? Wouldn't dream of it."

We eat rather quickly, especially me, due to the intense hunger I'm experiencing. I finish a little before Colton, so I lean my head on his shoulder and just sit there silently, content to be near him.

Once he's finished eating, I take off towards the slide, quickly climbing up it.

"You know you arent supposed to climb up slides, right?" he laughs, smiling at me.

"I know- but I wanted to," I simply reply, shrugging my shoulders.

"You are such a badass," he retorts sarcastically.

"I know," I laugh. "Now climb up here with me."

He climbs up and sits beside me on the playground equipment. I smile and plant a small kiss on his lips, before sitting back and leaning my head on his shoulder.

I look to the sky and notice the sun is beginning to set.

"It's beautiful," I murmur.

"Just like you," he quietly replies, brushing a strand of hair out of my face. A blush creeps up on my cheeks, and I smile warmly at him, before turning back to watch the sunset.

A/N

I know this is really, really pitifully short, but I'm going through some stuff and I wanted to give you something.

So, my neighbours were supposed to watch the cats while my family was away, but they haven't seen Kylie since last sunday. Yesterday we went door to door looking for her but only one neighbour has seen her and he said he saw her Wednesday. Even worse, a family of racoons has made a home on my property. And Kylie isn't aggressive- they could have gotten her.

I lost a cat about 1 1/2 years ago and I still break down and cry over it. I can't lose her, too. I don't know what to do. She never leaves our property, and now she's disappeared into thin air. I keep trying to distract myself from it, which is why I wrote this chapter, but every time I think of her, lying dead or injured somewhere, I just break down and cry.

Sometimes I feel like God is mad at me and thats why he keeps taking away everything I love.

And then I think thats stupid because I know God doesn't hold grudges.

I just want my cat back.

She cant be dead- she just can't.

Sorry for venting on you guys, but I'm going crazy with worry. Please keep Kylie in your prayers. She's everything to me.