Chapter 19

Callie drives me home fairly early in the morning, around 9. I thank her and head up into my room, pulling on a pair of black skinny jeans and a red tank top with the Coca Cola logo on it. I tug out my phone and flop down on my bed.

I hesitantly type out a short text to Troy.

'You up?' I ask.

The phone goes off a few minutes later with a reply.

'Yeah. Why, what's up? he replies.

I sigh, and carefully type out in reply: 'We need to talk- can you meet me around 10 @ Starbucks?'

'Sure. See you then'

I set my phone down and grab a pair of socks and red Converse from my closet, slipping them onto my feet.

I start to go down the stairs when I hear someone call my name.

"Yes?" I reply, not really surprised. Everyone should be up by now, seeing as we live on a farm and the horses have to be fed.

It turns out to be Carter.

"Can I talk to you he asks," gesturing at me to sit down. I sit on the foot of Taylor and his bed, beside him.

"Sure- what about?"

"Last night I woke up because I heard something outside- like a car," he starts, eyeing me suspiciously. "Would you know anything about that?" 

"Carter, please don't tell anyone," I beg. "I so don't want to get grounded. Being grounded sucks."

"I won't," he promises. "What happened."

"I went to a party with Callie, but she had to take a friend home and I was going to hitch a ride with some other friends. Then some- stuff- happened and I called Colton. He drove me home but then I realized if I went inside I'd get grounded. So I had him drive me to Callie's house," I hastily explain.

"This is probably where I should tell you that the moon was pretty bright last night and I may or may not have seen you two messing around by the car. And I know its none of my business, but don't you have a boyfriend," he awkwardly asks.

"Well, that moment between Colton and I has been marred forever," I mutter, mostly to myself. "And, for the record, Troy and I are finished if that's what you're worried about."

He doesn't reply, just offers me a smile.

"Anyways, I have some stuff I need to take care of," I say. "You promise you're not going to tell anyone?"

"Promise- except I might have already mentioned it to Taylor," he quietly replies.

I roll my eyes at him and giggle, "That's fine. I mostly meant my parents."
I give hime a quick hug, before heading downstairs. I snatch a granola bar from the cupboard, and slip out the front door.

I smile when I see Colton's car in the driveway, and make my way to the barn where I'm sure he'll be.

I sneak up behind him when I spot him, and cup my hands over his eyes.

"Guess who,"  I chime.

A rumbling chuckles escapes his throat, before he whirls around and presses his lips to mine. I frown and pull away.

"You didn't guess," I pout, sticking out my lower lip.

"Because I already knew who it was," he laughs, smiling at me.

"Anyways, I have to go take care of something in a few minutes," I say, not really wanting to tell him I'm going to see Troy.

"Where are you going," he asks.