Chapter 4

The sun has only been up for maybe an hour and I'm already up and out of bed. Everyone else is sleeping, but I just can't.

I had the nightmare again- the nightmare I dream at least twice a week. I'm not sure when it started, all I know is I wish it would stop.

It always starts the same. I'm in a dark, ominous hallway. The walls are covered in what was once blue and white floral wallpaper that is peeling up, giving the hallway an eerie feeling. Cobwebs are in the corners, and old dusty paintings hang in between the doors.

And the doors! There are always so many of them, seemingly a never ending number of doors, each of them with their own horrors behind them.

I'll feel a desperate need to find something, but I don't know what. Something important.

I'll run down the hallway, fervently searching every room but finding nothing.

Finally, I'll make it to the last door. A horrible feeling of dread invades my very essence as I place my hand on the doorknob. I turn it, and start to open the door-

And then I wake up.

The dream itself isn't scary, it's the feeling of dread, the feeling that something important is missing. I sometimes wish I could stay in the dream just for a moment more so I could see what was behind that door- no matter how horrifying it is.

But I can't, and after the dream I can never fall back asleep.

So, I do exactly what I'm doing now- I go down and sit cross legged in Flame's stall.

She reaches her head down and sets it in my lap. I link my arms around her head and press my forehead to hers.

"Thanks girl," I coo. I don't know what I'd do without her.

I sigh, and let go of her head. I think I might go for a ride, but I don't feel like getting up. It's too early to be awake- I'm still too tired.

I lean my back into the corner of the stall door and the wall that seperate a Flame's stall from Ezhno's, and before I know it I nod off to sleep.

-----------------------------

"Ari. Ari wake up," a familiar voice urges. I would know that voice anywhere.

I flutter my eyes open and smile.

"Hey Colton. What are you doing here?"

"I work here Ariel. Now the real question is, why are you asleep in Flame's stall?" he chuckles, opening the stall door.

My eyes fall to the ground, and I take a deep, calming breath. I feel him sit down beside me.

"The dream again?"

"Yeah."

He drapes his arm over my shoulder, and I subconsciously lean my head on his chest.

He's the only one I've told about my nightmares. They don't happen all the time, and my parents would probably make a big deal out of it, which they shouldn't. But I told Colton because, as I said, we used to be best friends. I don't know what we are anymore.

We sit in a comfortable silence for a while before I decide to speak up- against my better judgement.

"I miss you."

My voice is so quiet I think he doesn't hear me. The air goes still, as I debate whether or not to repeat myself.

"I miss you, too," he whispers.

"What happened to us? A month ago we were fine and now- Colton, we barely talk. I feel like you are always avoiding me. Is it something I did?"

"No," he assures. "No, it's not you Ari."

"Then what is it?"

"Nothing- we've just drifted apart. I don't know why but we have," he sighs. I glance up at him and frown. Dark bags are under his eyes from lack of sleep. His brow is furrowed as if deep in thought. He looks miserable.

"All I know is I miss you. I'm tired of things being awkward between us Colton. You are the only person in this town who really knows me. You're my best friend. I don't want to lose you," I sniffle.

"Hey, hey," he soothes, tightening his hold on me. "You don't have to worry about that- you could never lose me."

We stay in that position for a long, long time- sitting on the floor, my head buried in his chest and his arms around me.

"I should probably start working before your dad fires me," he states.

"You know he wouldn't do that,"I laugh, moving away so he can stand up.

He reaches his hands out towards me, and I grab them willingly, letting him help me to my feet.

"Do you think you could go on a ride with me after feeding them?" I question.

He glances over at me and half smiles.

"Of course."

A/N

Sorry for the short chapter! Best I can do right now!

Please comment, I love hearing your opinions!!!