Chapter 15

Ariel's POV

"It's not your fault Ariel. That, back there- that was bound to happen at some point. If not today, it still would have happened," Taylor says, cutting off my blabbering

"What do you mean?" I ask, confusion overwhelming me.

"Guys are- possessive. It's worse when two guys love the same girl, and only one can have her."

Taylor's words almost make me laugh.

"Colton doesn't love me," I snort, wiping the tears from my face, only to have them reappear moments later.

"Anyone with eyes can see that he does, Ariel," she replies, her voice slow but calculated. "Don't tell me you didn't know."

Everything around me stops moving it seems. That can't be right. Taylor can't be right.

"No- you're wrong," I whisper, shaking her head violently. "He never- he never did anything to even hint that he-"

I stop, my mind running over my time with Colton today.

Before Troy came in- we were so close- what was he going to say? We were so close we could have kis-

"No. No, he can't. Oh god," I sob.

Somehow Taylor wraps her arms around me, and I bury my head in her, let sob after sob erupt from my throat.

I hear her saying things but my mind can't comprehend them.

"What have I done," I sob.

If she's right, then I've been hurting Colton- my best friend- for the past month.

And if she's wrong? I just broke my own damn heart.

Because that tiny box I shoved all my feelings in back in the tenth grade? It just exploded.

And for some unearthly reason, at this point in time, all I can think about is how I met Colton.

----------

"But I'm so bored," I whine, giving Mom my best pout.

"Ariel, a hospital is no place to go exploring," she tiredly replies. I don't really blame her- we've been here for two weeks while Carter's been recovering. Taylor- my sister, I'm told- hasn't left his bedside.

That makes for a very bored Ariel.

"Please Mom- I promise I won't get in any trouble. I'm just so-"

"Bored, I know. So you've said. For the last time the answer is-"

A doctor whisks her away before she can finish.

Though I know she said not to, I can't help the urge to look around. For the past week I haven't seen anything beyond this waiting room and the cafeteria. I want to see more.

I decide to just sneak away for a minute- Mom won't even notice I'm gone. I'll only be gone a minute.

I slip out of the waiting room and into the hallway. The elevators are right in front of me, so I hit the button.

I'm on the fifth floor. I have to remember that. Five. Five. Five.

The elevator is here! I press all other thoughts out of my mind and slip into it. Once the doors close, I stare in wonder at all the buttons- there are thirteen floors, I notice.

I close my eyes and hit one.

When I open them again, I see the number 7 has lit up.