Chapter 24

Ariel's POV

I wake up the next morning around 8, and head straight down to the barn, not eating breakfast or anything.

You see, I had a dream that someone killed Flame, and I needed to see for myself that she was alright.

And, she was of course. It was only a dream.

Still, it takes a load off of my chest being able to stroke her mane as she munches on the food that Dad and Carter have already given them, and knowing that she's okay.

I leave the barn for the kitchen once my hunger gets the best of me, and whip myself up the very sophisticated meal of lucky charms with milk- the same breakfast late Victorian queens enjoyed.

Right as I finish the last bite, Taylor enters the room. She looks sort of clammy, as if she might be sick.

"Are you okay, Taylor?" I ask, concerned.

"Yeah, I just fill kind of queasy," she mumbles. Her eyes go wide, and she presses her hand to her mouth, before taking off towards the bathroom.

I rush after her, making it just in time to see her throwing up into the toilet. I'm glad I've already eaten, because seeing this would have made me lose my appetite.

I rub circles on her back, frowning

"Do you think it's a virus, or maybe food poisoning?" I ask once she's recovered.

"Probably food poisoning. That chicken I had at the restaurant last night could have been bad," she replies. "But I'm fine now. I'll just go lay in bed."

"Yeah, that would probably be best," I answer, grabbing her hand and helping her to stand.

She frowns and shakes her head.

"What," I ask.

"I just- I wanted to go riding today," she quietly replies.

"You'll have the rest of your life for that. One day won't matter," I chuckle.

"Ariel, one thing I've learned in life is tomorrow is not guaranteed," she says softly.

"Okay, let's be a pessimist."

"I'm not pessimistic Ariel- I'm realistic," she laughs. "Trust me Ariel- when you've been through what I have, you learn to be thankful for each day you get."

I sigh and lean my head in her shoulder.

"I know- now let's get you up to your room."

--------------------------------

Colton doesn't get in till about 11:30, which is late for him. Normally, he's here by 9.

When his car pulls into the driveway, I take off in a light jog towards him.

"What took you so long?" I ask once I reach him, pressing a light kiss on his cheek.

"I thought I told you- I had an appointment with my Oncologist today," he replies.

"Oh my god, is everything all right?" I ask, my heart skipping a beat

"Yeah," he chuckles. "I have to go in every few months just for a check up. I'm fine.

"Good," I sigh, wrapping my arms around his neck. "Because I kind of like you, you know."

"That's a good thing, because I kind of like you, too," he murmurs, pressing his lips to mine. The kiss is gentle and tender, and when we break apart, my breath falters.

He wraps an arm loosely around my waist and we head down to the barn.

"You know, lately, it's like my dad is paying you to hang out with me," I chuckle.