Chapter 7

My Hero - Chapter 7

Today is the day I've been dreading for six months. It's my birthday. Right now I just feel numb. Every birthday was always spent with my parents. We would eat cake for breakfast and I would end up going to school like an hour late, then we would go out to dinner. I won't be doing that today, or any birthdays in the future.

I thought it was kind of weird when I woke up since I was in my bed, and not on Lydia's couch. I get up and get ready for school. I put on a Linkin Park shirt from their world tour and black jeans. I leave my wavy brown hair down and don't even bother putting on make-up knowing that it would be a bad idea.

I walk to Stiles' room and see that he isn't there. I go down stairs and no one is there. I thought about texting Stiles but knowing him I probably shouldn't. So I just decide to walk to school.

When I get to school I go straight to my locker. I didn't see Scott or Kira, not even Malia so I just walked to my first period class.

I got through the first half of the day. Now, it's lunch time and I was putting some notebooks in my locker when Liam walked up to me "Hey" he said smiling

I did my best to smile "Hi"

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I close my locker "Yeah, just having an off day today. Have you seen Stiles anywhere?" Right after I asked that Stiles comes up wearing a giant sombrero and balloons in his hand. The others had party poppers and they were making a lot of noise.

"Happy Birthday!" Stiles yelled as he pulled me into a hug. The one thing I was trying not to think about this year and Stiles pretty much just told the whole school. I was so upset that I felt like I was going to cry.

When Stiles pulled away from the hug I ran away. I didn't see where I was going until I was in front of the gym. I go inside, sit on the floor and start crying. I guess the others decided to follow because less than a minute later they all came running in.

"Sarah? Look I'm sorry if I embarrassed you. I thought everybody knew it was your birthday?" Stiles said sitting down next to me.

"Why didn't you tell us your birthday was today?" Kira asked.

I look at Stiles "I didn't tell anyone because 'they' aren't here to celebrate with me. It wouldn't feel right to do anything without them."

He instantly knew what I was talking about and pulled me into a hug "I'm sorry. I didn't even think about that."

"What is she talking about?" Malia asked

"Her parents" Scott said "She's talking about her parents."

I look at Stiles "I think it's time we tell them the whole story."

"Are you sure?" Stiles asked "You don't have to."

"Liam and Malia don't even know, and the others only know parts of it. They all need to know everything" I said

"Should we be scared?" Lydia asked

"Kind of" I said "The story I told you when I first moved here, about my parents, wasn't entirely true."

"Sarah." Stiles tried again

"No Stiles! I'm doing this." I said. I motion for everyone to sit down in front of me.

"Okay. Six months ago my parents and I wanted to get away for a while. So we went to Santa Cruz. We went to the boardwalk, we hung out at the beach and we were just having fun. When we were driving home there was a truck a couple cars behind us, when going down the mountain the truck's breaks failed and it hit every car in front of it." I said. Everyone knew where I was going with this and their eyes widened.