sixteen

Matt's POV:
"one more question" i said, my heart beginning to race.

"yes?" kelsey said, waiting for a response.

"i was wondering if-"

"there they are!" addilyn shouted, opening the door to the janitors closet. there were three teachers behind her, followed by chris and a friend of his.

"matt champion, we thought about you and chris oliver's actions and what punishment should be faced. you two have detention in the library after school for the whole week" one of the teachers said as she handed me a red coloured piece of paper explaining my detention.

i nodded my head and stood up from the ground, putting my hand out to help kelsey up. getting detention over a suspension was like a warning. spending an hour in the school library is nothing compared to being yelled at by my mother for a suspension.

"matt that's the girl that hit me!" addilyn said, grabbing onto my wrist.

"don't lie to me addilyn. stop trying to ruin everything in my life. we broke up a year ago, get over it" i said, pulling my hand away so her grip would slip.

kelsey and i then walked off. i decided to take her to her final class for the day as we both went more in depth about the events that happened in the past couple of days.

"matt what was the question you wanted to ask?" kelsey asked as the conversation began to die down.

"i'll save it for another time" i replied.

"i'm really eager to know" she said, tugging on my arm. "please" she begged.

"kelsey trust me, it's better if i wait" i smiled.

"it better be worth the wait" she said.

i nodded my head, "i hope it is".

———

detention finally rolled its way over and before i knew it, i was in the library going over homework that i needed to catch up on. i stood up to get a drink from the drinking fountain and as i made my way back to my seat, Chris had moved next to where i was seated.

"seriously ? do you want to start another fight ?" i said crossing my arms over one another.

"i just want to talk... about kelsey" he fiddled with his fingers. "i know that you guys have something going on, it's quite obvious. i don't know how serious it is between you two but whenever you guys are together there's just that spark" he continued.

"you done ?" i rolled my eyes.

"i'm just trying to say that you guys are good for each other. you stick up for her and she makes you a better version of yourself. if she didn't interfere in the fight i'd probably be dead right now" he said.

"if you're trying to get on my good side, it's not working but thanks for the compliment. now leave before you actually become deceased" i said taking my seat. chris stood up and walked to the other side of the detention area, leaving me alone.

a few minutes passed before i heard someone else try to talk to me. "hi i was wondering if you could help me, i don't understand this". i turned around and saw kelsey, pointing at her math homework.

"kels! what're you doing here?" i asked her, signalling for her to sit next to me.

"thought i'd keep you company" she smiled, taking a seat beside me.

"you just need help with math don't you?" i asked.

"yep" she giggled, placing her hand on my arm. "matt are you ever going to ask me that question?" she asked, staring into my eyes.

"when the tones right i will" i responded. "now let's focus on math" i said, flicking through our math textbook.

———

a/n: short chapter, the next one
will be longer i promise !!!