ten

Matt's POV:
"hey matt" a familiar voice echoed. i turned around to see four guys. the same four guys that i got into a fight with. "what do you want?" i said, cracking my knuckles to prepare for another fight.

"we don't want to cause any harm. we know what we did was wrong. my friend chris here wants to take kelsey out on a date tomorrow night at the carnival to start over. he thinks she's really sweet-" i immediately cut him off.

"if you guys even think about saying one word to kelsey you will regret it. i'll make sure the last thing you see is my fist in your face. in fact, i'll ask her before you even get the chance to" i shouted, pointing my finger at them.

i couldn't believe that these guys, especially chris, thought that it'd be okay to ask kelsey out and on top of that, come to me for help. my morning had already started horribly.

"matt what's wrong?" Ciarán said as he ran towards me. "those guys" i said as i directed my eyes towards them.

"did they try to fight again?" ciarán asked. i shook my head. "some guy named chris over there wants to ask kelsey out. they were going to ask me for help. i told them they'll regret it if they even think about doing so"

as i continued walking with ciarán, i saw kelsey enter school. "i've got to go, i'll meet you and the boys later" i said as i ran towards her.

"kelsey" i yelled, jogging to her. "hey" she smiled, fiddling with the necklace i bought her.

"so, i was wondering if you'd like to come with me to the carnival tomorrow night, just the two of us ?" i asked.

"oh" she paused, glancing over at jack who had the biggest smile across his face. i hope he wasn't getting too worked up on this because i would much rather stay home then spend a night with her.

"sure" she smiled. "i'll see you tomorrow night at eight" she said as she waved goodbye, heading off to class as the bell rang.

———

it was lunch and i finally got a break from class work. my hand cramped in almost every period from the amount of practice essays and work i had to catch up on.

"what're you watching?" i asked ian as the rest of the boys were huddled up behind him, staring into his phone. "memes and old vine compilations" he said. "want to join?" he asked. i nodded and stood behind him, joining the rest.

"hey matt, isn't that kelsey over there? talking to that guy that said they were looking up her skirt?" joba asked, pointing across the cafeteria.

chris was there talking to kelsey. "as if my warning wasn't enough" i said under my breath. "hold this" i said, passing my drink to merlyn. "don't do anything i wouldn't do!" ciarán shouted as i walked towards kelsey and chris.

"what's going on here?" i asked as i approached the two. "chris just apologised for what happened at the snow" kelsey said. "he bought me this as an apology gift" she said as she opened up a box with a necklace inside. it was a silver chain with a butterfly attached.

"too bad, you already have that necklace i gave you" i said, taking the box out of her hands. "hey" she squirmed.

"kels i'm sure you don't want a necklace that looks like it's from the dollar store" i said, still holding onto the box with the necklace.

"kels?" she repeated. you could hear the confusion in her voice.

"anything you want to say chris?" i asked, raising my eyebrows.

"yeah actually there is. kelsey would you like to go to the carnival with me tomorrow?" he asked. i looked down at kelsey, hoping she wouldn't say yes. she already agreed to go with me, but it didn't mean she couldn't change her mind and choose him.

"sorry, i'm going with matt but-" before she could continue, i interrupted her. "well that's that, goodbye chris" i said as i gently grabbed kelsey's arm and pulled her away.

"what was that?" kelsey asked.

"what was what?" i said.

"calling me kels, taking his gift from me, butting into my conversation with him. what was all of that?" she said.

"it was nothing. you shouldn't talk to him, he's a bad guy kelsey"

"whether i talk to him or not it's none of your business"

"he made you uncomfortable. he stared up your skirt! as if that doesn't make him a bad person already" i said, raising my voice a little.

"matt, i appreciate you looking out for me but trust me i can handle things on my own. i wouldn't have said yes to him anyways, i'm not stupid" kelsey said, grabbing the necklace from my hands. "focus on yourself on not me. i'm not five" she then walked off.

"what happened?" dom asked as i returned back to them. "nothing" i sighed and started eating my lunch.

tomorrow nights going to be an awkward one.

———

a/n: i know i said i wouldn't update
for a few days to a week but i really
felt like it so i hope you liked this chapter