twelve

Matt's POV:
it was the day after the carnival and i spent all night trying to call and text kelsey, but i had no luck. she wouldn't answer. i arrived at school and walked towards romil who was sitting by himself. "hey matt, how was the carnival?" he asked, biting into his sandwich.

"horrible" i said, resting my head on the table.

"do you want to talk about it?" he asked. i looked up at him, glaring, and put my head back down. "i'll take that as a no" romil said.

"what's up with matt?" i looked up to see ian. "the carnival was bad" romil answered.

they started throwing out ideas of why they thought the carnival was bad, so i began to block out their voices. i took a glance at my phone to check the time and as i placed it back into my pocket, i saw kelsey with jack by her side. they were walking towards us. maybe she forgave me.

"oh thank god kelsey i've been needing to talk to you" i said before she started talking over me.

"this is for you" she said. i looked down at the palm of her hand to see the necklace i gave her on her birthday. "kelsey" i said, slowly taking it out of her hands.

"bye matt". she walked off.

"i guess it was kelsey" romil said to ian.

———

i walked into my english class with dom, taking a seat beside the window. i took out my book and a few pens and began writing a practice essay i've been working on. a few minutes into the lesson, dom tapped me on the shoulder. i took out my earphones, and he began speaking.

"isn't that your ex ?" he asked, looking towards the door. i nodded. it was addilyn. addilyn noel.

we broke up a year ago when she moved out of town. i was thankful for the breakup, in fact i was planning on breaking up with her two weeks prior to the incident. she was overly attached and everything had to be her way. i could barely see my friends unless she came, and even when she did, i barely spoke to them because she'd always pull me away.

"hey matt" addilyn said, taking a seat in front of me. she turned around, and continued talking. "how have you been?"

"i've been okay, you?" i asked.

"i've been great! is it okay if i hang out with you today? i don't know anyone else at this school" she smiled. i nodded my head. addilyn is only her overly attached self when dating someone, so being friends wouldn't be an issue.

i glanced over to my right to see jack staring at me. "shit" i whispered to myself. if jack got the wrong idea and tells kelsey, it'll just make things worse between us.

after english, i ran towards jack, tapping his shoulder to get his attention. "hey i just want to let you know that addilyn and i are only friends"

"didn't ask and couldn't care less. don't touch me next time" he walked off, hitting his shoulder against mine on the way.

"who was that?" addilyn asked, watching jack walk away. "no one" i sighed. "let's go, i'll show you the cafeteria"

———

Kelsey's POV:
lunch was the only time i'd really see matt at school since we had no classes together. i dreaded lunch. the whole day went by so quick, yet when lunch rolled over, it's like time was in slow motion.

i got my food and sat next to jack. "matt talked to me" he said, biting into his apple. "and?" i asked.

"he told me that this new girl in our english class is just his friend" he continued. i slowly nodded my head, "sure".

i scanned my eyes across the cafeteria, trying to see who this new girl was. i eventually found her. she was sitting with matt and his friends and they all seemed to be having a good time.

"that's her right?" i asked jack just to make sure. he nodded.

"matt's a man whore" jack said. he continued talking but i zoned out. i was too focused on matt and addilyn.

matt reached into his pocket and pulled something out. it was the necklace i gave back to him that morning. he stared at it for a few seconds, before handing it over to addilyn.

"you're kidding me" i said, placing my fork down on the table.

addilyn then put the necklace on with the help of matt. i felt my face begin to turn red in anger but there was nothing i could do. it wasn't mine anymore, i gave it back. it was his choice what he wanted to do with it from now on.

"i'll go over there and beat his ass" jack said, standing up from his seat. "no" i pulled jack down, "let him do whatever he wants"

———

Matt's POV:
i reached into the pocket of my jeans to take kelsey's necklace out. i was going to place it inside my bag to keep it safe but i just stared at it for a few seconds, thinking about the moment i gave it to her.

"what's that?" addilyn asked.

"it was a necklace for this girl, a really special girl actually, but she doesn't want it anymore" i said.

"can i see?" she asked curiously. i handed it over to her and before i knew it, addilyn was putting it on.

"hey!" i squirmed, putting my hand over hers, trying to stop her from attaching the two ends.

"if that girl doesn't want it then it might as well come to use, right?" she said, moving my hand away.

"she's right matt, if kelsey doesn't want it then you should just let addilyn keep it, you spent a lot of money on it so don't put it to waste" merlyn said.

i nodded my head. i wasn't happy with the outcome, but merlyn was right. i spent so much money on this necklace so someone might as well have it, even if it's not the person i want it to be.

i looked over to where kelsey was sitting, and saw her pull against jack's arm, having him sit down next to her. i really hope they didn't see what happened.

"so kelsey's her name? what happened between you two" addilyn asked, leaning her head against her palm.

"don't worry about it addilyn" i said.

"did you two kiss? date? what?" addilyn said, staring me in the eyes.

"we didn't date, we just had one kiss" i said softly.

"WHAT!" ciarán and romil yelled in sync.

"you kissed her!" romil continued.

"shut up before i hit you" i said, raising my voice. "if any of you talk about this again i swear it'll be the last time you do. DON'T mention kelsey to me, i don't care about her anymore" i continued.

i stood up from my seat and saw addilyn smirk. i didn't think too much of it, and left the cafeteria.

———

a/n: what do y'all think
about addilyn ?