eight

Kelsey's POV:
matt was suspended for a week and got into a fight because of me. i felt horrible, so when we arrived back at school from the excursion and everyone made their way home, i talked to the teachers who were in charge of his suspension and told them what happened.

i explained the story from the beginning, and they agreed that what those boys did was wrong, but because matt hit them first, he had to get suspended too.

"well then, can i get suspended as well? i know it's stupid to ask but it happened because of me, i'm going to feel guilty" i begged.

after several minutes of trying to convince them to take action on me, they finally did. i was told "three days is all you'll get miss reid". i was fine with that, i felt like i deserved it anyways. now time to explain to my mother why i'm suspended.

———

my mother wasn't happy about my suspension, why would she be anyways? the good thing is that she was proud of me for doing what i thought was right, even if that meant 3 days off school.

"hey mum, can i go over to matt's tonight? to thank him for sticking up for me" i asked. she thought hard about it, not sure whether she should let me go or not.

"fine, but be back by eight thirty" she said. i nodded my head and walked up to my room to get changed. all i could think about was why matt out of everyone. why would he do this for me ? jack was offering to go over there and talk to them, and that wouldn't have ended in a fight.

———

i knocked on matt's door, waiting for someone to answer. i brought homemade apple pie with me. "kelsey! hello" mrs champion said as she opened the door. "what a lovely surprise!" she continued.

"oh hello mrs champion. i brought you homemade apple pie" i said, handing it over to her.

"thank you kelsey" she smiled as she slowly closed the door. "oh um" i blurred out. "i'm here to see matt, if that's okay?"

she nodded her head and let me in. "his rooms upstairs, first one to your right" she said as she put the apple pie on the kitchen table. i smiled at her and walked upstairs, my whole body shaking. although i've talked to matt a couple of times, and he stood up for me, it was still nerve-wracking just talking to him.

i knocked on his door, "hey it's me, kelsey" i said.

"what do you want" he said, sounding as if he just woke up.

i slowly opened the door and made my way in, sitting on his chair. "i didn't say you could come in" he said, staring at me.

"i just wanted to thank you, for standing up for me. it means a lot and i-" matt cut me off. "listen, i said i'd do it for anyone, you're not special"

"i know, i understand that. i'm suspended too" i said. his eyes widened. "why?" he said.

"i asked to be, it happened because of me, i deserve to be suspended. mines only for three days though, not a week like yours" i answered.

"you're an idiot. it didn't happen because of you, it happened because four childish guys. now you can leave" he said, pointing towards the door.