one

Kelsey's POV:
"oh my god no, not again" i sighed as i rushed out of bed. it was 8:45am and school started 15 minutes ago. it would be my fourth time being late this week and that meant detention.

i stayed up all night working on my art project making sure it was perfect for today. i quickly got dressed and headed downstairs where i grabbed a granola bar and headed out the door. i rushed towards my car, almost tripping on the way.

"start!" i yelled, banging my hand against the car. after several attempts of trying to get my beat up honda civic to start, it finally worked. i drove to school pretty recklessly, going through two red lights and almost crashing on the way.

once i arrived, i parked in the only available spot which was in between two cars that were taking up a bit of my parking space. it was a tight squeeze but i managed to make it work. i grabbed my bag that had been sitting on the passengers seat and ran towards the office to sign in.

"miss reid, this is your fourth time being late this week. you know what that means" the office lady said, handing me papers to sign in.

"i know i'm so sorry, i stayed up all night working on my art assignment" i said.

"sorry to hear that but you still have to attend detention. after school, head to the library. it's for an hour" she said as i finished signing in. i nodded and walked to my first period class which only had ten minutes left.

as i entered i saw my best friend Jack who waved at me. "hey kels!" he said happily. "why're you so late?" he asked.

"art assignment" i said taking my seat next to jack. i rested my head on the table, hoping i could sleep for the last couple of minutes before next period. i had to hand in my canvas last period and that was the only good thing going for me today since i had time before art class to touch up a few more things.

"you know i could've helped you. i'm no artist like you but i sure could've learnt" jack said, rubbing my back to try and comfort me.

"thanks jack but i wanted to do it on my own" i said, turning my head towards him with my it still against the table.

———

i walked into art class, rubbing my eyes, trying to keep myself awake. there were only six students in my class including me. i had no friends in my class. in fact, no friends in any of my classes besides history where jack and i were together. jack and i have been best friends since we were both eight. he's also my one and only friend.

"Kelsey are you okay? you seem a bit tired" Mr Landon asked. i nodded and took my seat, pulling out my canvas from my bag.

thankfully, the lesson flew by pretty quickly. before i knew it, it was time to show my work. i was the last one to present. i hated presentations. i was never anxious about them, in fact i always said what was on my mind and had no problem doing so. i just didn't like the idea of standing up in front of a class, to me it was pointless.

"so this is my canvas. as you can see, there are two hands reaching out for each other. one in black and white and the other, colourful, covered with flowers. the message i'm trying to get across with this painting is that most of the time people are struggling, but with the right people around, they can pull you out of that dark place. they can help you if you let them" my speech was short and straight to the point. 

everyone clapped as i thanked them for listening and sat back on my chair, only for the bell to ring.

time to head to detention.

Kelsey's canvas(credit to whoever made this)

Kelsey's canvas
(credit to whoever made this)