chapter 23

Chapter-23

Leaning against the glass window of my room, I think it’s a wonder that I am still here, a wonder that I have lasted for five months and twenty three days straight. I would agree that the starting days were not so great with the constant bickering and whining but with times, I was old news. Then again it never helped me that no one is able to use their gifts on me.

Alice never minded and no one ever left Nessie to come that close to me, it’s not that she will try either way. Edward is like a grumpy child as he can’t read my thoughts and that is also the main reason why he never trusts me, but hey who am I to complain. Sometimes it feels like jasper could sense my emotions but it would be only on those times when I would be deep in thought and my shield would shake a little but I always manage to pull it up before he notice anything drastic.

It was not easy for me too. I was always either in my room or sitting in the corner. I couldn’t go back to lily and matt cause then there would be suspicions which would ultimately reach Aro. So, it was only sulking for me, here and there.

If it wasn’t for Esme then god knows what I would have done of boredom. Every day, after everyone left for school or work, I used to accompany Esme to whatever she is doing. Someday it’s cooking or planting or it would be plain a lazy day where she would design the interiors while I just lay beside her staring at the ceiling, making small talks and enjoying the comfortable silence.

The best thing about spending time with Esme is that she never asks any question. Even if it doesn’t involve me, she is just not the kind to push or poke. On the other hand she always reminds me of Elizabeth so I actually enjoy her company. She always has that warm aura around her that you will feel drawn to her.

 A knock on the door snapped me out of my thoughts. I didn’t need to turn to know that it’s Esme. I looked back and she just smiled through the glass doors, I nodded and she flitted through the door and came towards me. She sat down beside me on the floor and looked out the window as I was doing. We sat in silence and I knew she was here for a reason, not to sit beside me. So I decided to break the silence.

“I don’t believe you are here just to look through the window?” I stated, she just nodded her head but didn’t look up at me. I could see she is nervous, so I continued, “So, what is it? C’mon you know you can ask me anything.” I nudge her playfully.

“Well,” she started, “there is this piece of art I bought but I don’t want it to be shipped here. You see, it’s an old painting and I am afraid that it will get damaged during shipment so, I thought that I would go collect it myself.” She stopped and I nodded, encouraging her to continue, “Well I would have gone alone but it’s in Italy and you know our relation with the volturi” she said ‘volturi’ with a sheepish smile thinking that I will get offended or something. I shook my head in amusement but nodded for her to continue further, “so, I can’t ask Carlisle to come with me cause he is busy with the hospital and I can’t ask Alice cause I know jasper won’t let her go alone, but it’s an almost two days trip so they will miss out on school. So, I was wondering that would you like to accompany me to Italy.” I could clearly see her discomfort but only when I looked inside her head that I understand the she also just don’t wanted to go to Italy.

I took a deep breath and look up into her eyes, “Esme, do you seriously like the idea to go to Italy?” she shook her head no and I smiled and then continued, “why don’t you give me the address of the place the painting is at and I could go and pick it up for you, in that way you don’t have to go.” I offered her and her whole face lit up at the mention of her not going.