chapter 14

Chapter-14

The living room, where we all were sitting, was warm from the fire burning in the fireplace, but by dad’s expression I knew it was still cold in here. I was sitting beside Chris, with his arms around my shoulder. He was showing me some old photographs of his, while dad was talking with Elizabeth, most probably discussing work. Gosh, sometimes I think that he doesn’t have anything left in his life except work. God know what will happen when I won’t be there with him anymore.

After sometime Elizabeth turned to me and asked me if I could help her in the kitchen setting the table. I felt weird but welcomed as she most probably thought me as a family to ask this. I left with her and went after her into the kitchen. She was in a very bright mood, singing show tunes and a little jumpy but since it’s her son’s birthday she was allowed to be happy.

After setting the table Elizabeth asked me to go and call dad and Chris for dinner. I just nodded and headed towards the living room but, when I entered I saw Chris kneeling in front of dad and dad was sitting on the couch with his face in his hands.

“Dad what happen...?” I asked worried, kneeling beside Chris, “are you okay...?”

“yeah I am okay, just felt a little dizziness when I tried to stand up, Chris caught me or I would have been licking the floor now,” he explained but I knew my dad too well to know when he was lying and right now I can safely say that he is, but dad never lie to me knowing how I have a strong distaste for lies, but why. I was brought back from my thought when dad stood up and headed for the kitchen, mumbling “I think I am getting old.”

After he left, I turned to Chris for any kind of explanation but by the looks on his face my words went down my throat. He was angry, hurt, frustrated, sad, disappointed, all at the same time. He looked up at me and I saw tears brimming in his eyes. He just sat down on the couch taking dad’s place and I started rubbing his back but that just seem to make him sadder as the unshed tears in his eyes started flowing.

I took his head into my arms and he put his head in the crook of my neck and started sobbing more loudly now. He looked so vulnerable that a couple of tears escaped through my eyes too. When Chris noticed that I am crying too he pulled me into his lap, me straddling him now.

It was crazy; we both were crying not even knowing why. Now it was Chris who was trying to calm me down, he was now running his hands on my back, trying to sooth me down and calm me too. After a while when he noticed that I was not going to calm down soon, he pulled back and took my face in his hands, he looked deep into my eyes and leaned forward.

I closed my eyes, waiting for his soft lips to touch mine, knowing that it would definitely calm me down. After just a second his lips touched mine and as usual the sparks started, sending me on my way to paradise. It was always like the first time we kiss. The need, the want, the urge, everything.

“I thought, what is taking so long,” we pulled apart hearing Elizabeth on the door. She was smirking but when she saw our faces, our tear strained faces; she was kneeling in front of us in a flash. She caressed Chris’s cheeks and he leaned into them.

“Angelina, go give your father company, I will talk to him,” I was about to protest but when I saw Elizabeth’s determined face; I just got down from Chris’s lap and made my way to the kitchen.

Dad was sitting on one of the chair of the dining table, with his head down like he was thinking very deep. His head snapped up when he heard me coming, but when his eyes met mine, which was bloodshot right now from all the crying, he stood up and came to me, his arms coming around me automatically. I was hugged him back and started crying again.