13: Best Man is Always Tardy

Chapter Thirteen

A week from the wedding already, the time has flown by. Today, Alex and I would be going to the bakery to choose the cake. Our appointment was set for one o'clock pm. Caroline, and Sarah would be meeting us at the famous bakery, Sweet Tooth to help choose the cake, well Caroline would be lending her expertise while Sarah would give her opinion on the best tasting one. I held no particular interest in doing this so I mumbled and grumbled the whole way there. Alex tried to get me to be upbeat saying that I get to eat all the cake that I ever wanted. That got me in better spirits at least. It did not take very long to get to the bakery, probably around thirty minutes. Sarah arrived at exactly the same time as us, ten after one. While Caroline was probably already waiting inside.

We walked inside and when we opened the door, I was hit with the scent of freshly baked bread, icing for cakes and other pastries and just out of the oven chocolate chip cookies. That is the exact reason I love bakeries. Caroline was waiting for all of us with the head bakery, George but George was pronounced Horge. Weird, I know. Soon we were flipping through extraordinary cake displays and designs, frostings, patterns, icings, cake flavors and fillings. It was all a little over whelming. Right then a tall, handsome blond man wearing designer sunglasses and using a fancy, high tech cell phone walked in the door. 

He looked cocky, and arrogant who thought he was the shits, you know important. I went back to looking while the guy ended his call, and everyone was moving about around me. What I did not realize was that they were standing up. Alex stood up and walked up to greet the man but I just ignored him thinking, the arrogant guy was one of Alex's friends. 

"Hey man, what's up? Nice of you to join us finally."

"Sorry, you know business crap and not much new in my world, well not at least as big as a wedding, so where's the bride to be? This one?" he said and I knew he was mentioning Sarah.

"Hi, I am Sarah," Sarah said blushing and giggling.

"Hi, beautiful, so you must be the bride to be?" he asked again because Sarah was too muddled by his handsomeness to answer.

"No, that would be me," I said in a serious voice swiveling around on my stool and you could hear my heels clicking in the silence on the wood floors.

"Pleasure to meet you, I am the best man and best friend of Alex," he said before taking my hand and kissing it.

"Really gentlemen like and nice see you make an appearance after last time's no show." I said while thinking he looked very familiar. 

"Yes and I look forward to getting to know the girl who has snatched up Alex, since Alex has told me absolutely nothing about you." Ashton said while taking off his fancy, swanky sunglasses.

His blue eyes were captivating, I could not tear my eyes away from his but finally Alex cleared his throat and said, “so shall we all get down to business and start the cake choosing process."

Boy was it a process, we all got down to business or should I say just the women. The men, no wait I take that back, boys were too busy eating the cake and shoving it in each other's mouths, I am surprised that they did not start a food fight right in the middle of the shop, were not much of a help. Sarah, Caroline, and I finally decided on a white cake with coconut frosting. A ten-tier cake with every other tier being blue with edible pearls and lace. A white tier in between each of those with blue fondant designs to incorporate the wedding colors. Soon enough we were done and heading back to the palace. 

Everyone was staying at the palace until the wedding, which was only a week away, so all the final details can be put into place. With four guest suites on the second floor and even more on the third, everyone had plenty of room. I had my room on the second floor, which Sarah was next to me and Alex was at the end of the hall, while Ashton had the one across from mine and the last one on the floor was held by Alex's parents.