24: Truth, Lies & A Runaway

Chapter 24

I was shocked, that Sarah would punch Ashton. A little, confused also, as to what was going on, could Alex be breaking up the wedding just because I kissed the best man? Someone needs to explain and now.

"Alright, Sarah come here." I said pulling Alex and Sarah to the side of the altar behind the orchestra. 

"What's going on? And I want the truth." I said as I looked up to see my mother helping Ashton and tell the guests that the bride and groom just had a misunderstanding. 

"Anne, I am pregnant," Sarah said bluntly.

"Who's the father? Ashton?" I asked as my heart shattered into a million pieces. I could see the headlines, best man and maid of honor fall in love and are expecting. The press would have a field day.

"No, no." Sarah said as she twisted her fingers. Alex looked to be sweating bullets now, he kept wiping them out of his eyes.

"Well who then." I asked staring questioningly at Sarah.

"That would be where I come in." Alex said as he swooned and almost fainted. 

This could not be happening, the doomed wedding from the start. Except, at that exact moment, all I could think was this was my out, I was a free woman. I smiled, but then I regretted it because I would have to cancel the wedding.

"How, when, why?" I said opening my mouth.

"The cruise, you know how, and we were drunk and we have slowly fallen in love over the last few weeks." Sarah said winding her hands together and unwinding.

"That's not what I meant," I said as Ashton slowly stumbled over.

"When did you find out? Why did you not tell me?" I asked now.

"I found out this morning that I was pregnant and I could not bear to wreck your wedding day." Sarah explained now looking like she was afraid of me and she should be.

"How long did you know about it, Ashton?" I asked him.

"I found out at lunch the other day that they slept together and that she was pregnant this morning also." Ashton said as he stepped closer.

"I cannot deal with this right now." I said holding my hands up in the air. I left all three of them standing there with open mouths, as I walked determined to the center of the altar. 

"Settle down, please," I said to the guests and everyone took their seats. Several cameras were not out that, security must have missed. 

"It has come to my attention some new knowledge and it is my misfortune to inform you that there will not be a wedding today in the future between myself and Mr. Fortunato. I give you my sincerest apologies. Please direct any questions or concerns regarding this decision to Mr. Fortunato, my now ex-fiancée, my ex-best friend, and the ex-best man" I said before running down the aisle and out of the church. I looked back right before I burst open the doors to see Alex, Sarah and Ashton on the altar staring with wide mouths. 

Sarah and Alex were now being bombarded by my parents and his, while Ashton fought his way down the aisle to chase after me. I reached the limo that was supposed to be for Alex and I, and I jumped in gathering my long gown with me. I told the driver to hit it and to go to the airport. A last glance out the window showed Ashton chasing me before throwing his hands into the air. The last I heard was," ANNE, I LOVE YOU!"

That is when the tears began to flow. I grabbed the box of tissues and champagne before drinking and crying myself into oblivion. We finally reached the airport and I stumbled out of the limo to board my plane that was supposed to take us to Southern Florida for a cruise but I now had a new destination in mind. The old beach house.