4: The Royal Ball Begins

Chapter 4

My palms were sweating as I straightened my gown in preparation for what was to come. I stood up, walked to the doors, and stood in front of them. I rapped lightly on the door and within seconds, a trumpet sounded. The doors opened to reveal over a hundred guests in a lavishly decorated ballroom. A voice from the bottom of the stairs announced my full name.

"Presenting, Anne Elizabeth Marie Windsor, the royal princess of England and heir to the throne."

After my lovely presentation, I had to make a speech welcoming everyone and stating the rules. This shall be quite fun especially since I absolutely detest giving speeches.

I, welcome, each and every one of you to my ball, where I shall choose one of you to be my fiancé and partner in ruling the throne. The rules state that you shall have three nights and two days to impress me and win my favor. On the end of the third night, I shall make my decision, but then you must make me fall in love with you. Let the festivities begin."

Someone else wrote my lovely speech and it quite shocked me that they will have to make me fall in love with them still after the ball. I descended the stairs after my spiel and managed to do so without tripping, walking on my gown, or cussing.

As I looked around I thought about how I am like a brand new toy and all these eligible bachelors are like dogs, hoping to get the toy but knowing only one can have me. 

When I had reached the bottom of the stairs, my father was there to begin the dancing with me. He took my arm and led me to the dance floor. He twirled me around like a little girl as the band played and everyone else swayed along to the music. Finally, the first song ended and someone else stepped in for the second dance. The night continued like that me being handed from guy to guy for each dance. 

The last dance of the night was with a handsome Egyptian royal. His name was Alexander; he had black hair, and was only a little taller than me. I liked him a lot. He was shy and quiet but he had a certain respect for women that most men do not have. I liked him but I could not love him and I knew that now. 

I did see our life flash before my eyes; we could marry, and have the throne. Then eventually a few gorgeous black haired children. However, our life together might not be a particularly happy one but it would be done right and if he could accept that I could never love him then I would try to be the best wife for him.

The music ending snapped me out of those horrendous thoughts.

"Princess, I was wondering if I might have the last dance tomorrow night." Alex asked me rather politely.

"Yes, of course Alex," I replied just as politely. Either way I would have to dance with someone so why not this nice, handsome man.

"Well, thank you for doing me the honor of dancing with me."

"No, thank you.”

"It has been my pleasure your highness."

"Please, call me Anne."

"Okay, your---Anne, shall I see you tomorrow at the brunch, before the festivities?"

"Most definitely."

"Okay until then Anne, sleep well." Alex said before kissing my hand.

Right after Alex had escorted me to a nearby bench to sit down, Sarah came right over. She allow without female royals had to come to the ball to dance with the bachelors when I was not dancing with them.