Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

To: Louis

Headed 2 the hospital now. Want to come meet me for coffee first? Ash x

From: Louis

Sure where at? I’m not doing anything x

To: Louis

Where we always go x

                I drove up to the quaint coffee shop and sighed, looking around the town I grew up in. Louis and I used to pretty much live at the coffee shop we spent so much time there. Louis would get tea and I’d get a coffee and we’d just sit and watch people go in and out of the place for hours.

                “Hey!” Someone shouts and I turn around to see a boy in shades and a hoodie hurrying over to me. And he’s got red skinny jeans on.

                “Hey Louis!” I laugh and eye his disguise. Seriously, Lou?

                “Shh!” He snaps, rolling his eyes. We walk into the coffee shop together just as the owner, Rosie, comes around the counter to give someone a coffee. She looks up and notices me first, squealing loudly.

                “Ashton Knight!” She squeals, hurrying over to the both of us. She eyes Louis then notices the red pants, hugging us both at the same time.

                “Hey Rosie. Where’s your daughter?” I raise an eyebrow, making her squeal even louder. We hadn’t talked for a while and I guess she thought that we wouldn’t see each other for a long time, if ever.

                “I see you guys on the news the other day!” She squeals, smiling at the both of us. “Shae’s adorable!” She never had the best English down.

                “Mum? Who are you talking to?” A voice rings out from the back.

                “Come here!” Rosie shouts and I hear a pounding of footsteps and the short, light brown haired girl emerges from the back. Her yellowish/green eyes light up, smiling wide.

                “Ashton Knight.” She smirks, putting her hands on her hips.

'              “Natalie Conor.” I mimic her, smirking and putting my hands on my hips. Louis and Rosie raise their eyebrows, smiling goofily.

                “How are you?” She squeals, attacking me and hugging me tight.

                “Can’t. Breathe.” I choke out, making my best friend laugh and pull away. She looks at Louis then looks at her mum. She knows about Louis and me not being together anymore.

                “Mum. Will you go get Ashton and I two coffees and Louis’ a tea? Thank you.” She tells her mother and off she goes. Then Natalie looks at us.

                “Katrina’s in the hospital. That’s why I didn’t have time to text you.” I ramble, sitting down at a table. Louis sits next to me and Natalie sits across from us.

                “Oh, ya. She told me. Did you hear about it?” Natalie raises an eyebrow, grabbing a coffee from her mother’s awaiting hands. I grabbed mine and Louis grabbed his tea. We both said thanks and then looked back at Natalie.

                “No.” Louis shakes his head and I sigh, leaning back in the chair. Louis watches me out of the corner of his eye and it makes tons of memories flood back.

                “A drunk driver decided they didn’t like her car and ran into it.” Natalie laughs, rolling her eyes casually.

                “And you’re laughing?” I smirk, raising an eyebrow.

                “Yes because the drunk driver’s car was totally ruined while Katrina’s is getting repaired at the moment. She’s only gotten a broken wrist.” Natalie smirks, taking a drink of her coffee.

                “I think she works some kind of miracles.” I laugh and we go into a conversation, Louis focusing on the television instead of actually listening to us.

*

                “Ashton?” A voice brings me out of the haze I was in. I peek around a door to see my best friend lying on the hospital bed, her blonde hair in a braid on the side of her head. I grab Louis’ hand and tow him into the room. He’s still savoring the last bits of his tea. Weird boy.

                “Hey Katrina.” I smile, sitting in one of the chairs. Louis scoots the other chair next to it and we both look at the girl in the hospital bed.

                “How are you doing?” Louis asks, resting his elbows on his knees casually. I sit crisscross in my own chair, putting my hands in my lap. Katrina laughs, looking at the both of us.

                “Fine. How are you guys?” Katrina switches the subject to us, looking at us closely. Her forehead wrinkles the slightest bit in concentration, thinking hard about something.

                “Worried about you.” I furrow my eyebrows together, giving her a weird look. This makes her laugh and Louis just looks at us, clueless.

                “Don’t be. I’ll be out tomorrow.” She assures me. I shake my head, sighing at her determination. She is so hard headed sometimes.

                “I don’t know when I’ll be going to Louis’ mum’s house. But, since it’s not far we’ll be able to hook up and you can see Shae.” I tell her and she smiles, drifting off to sleep.

*

                “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!” I hear Shae’s voice when Louis and I walk into the house. I sigh, shaking my head. My mum must have pulled out the old kid movies. Now all we are going to hear for the rest of our lives is ‘just keep swimming, just keep swimming!’ It’s better than ‘You pat the dog, you screw the light bulb then you just go crazy’.

                “Hey!” My mum smiles, looking up at Louis and me. We had never been close but today it seems like everything has changed. She feels like my best friend now.

                “We need to talk.” I state and Louis raises an eyebrow.

                “Shae, why don’t you go watch some TV?” My mum asks the almost three year old and she wiggles around, running off. Then I face palm myself. Shit, her birthday is soon!

                “What’s up?” Louis asks as we all get situated on the couches.

                “We need to figure out when we’re going where.” I laugh, shaking my head. It was so confusing.

                “My Mum said you can come over whenever.” Louis shrugs, looking at my own mum.

                “I’d like to have one more day with Shae but you guys can go to Louis’. Just to get situated for Shae and so Ashton can see your sisters without Shae running around underfoot.” My mum suggests and we both nod.

                “Well than! Guess I am going to see Lottie, Fizzy, Daisy and Phoebe.” I announce, clamping my hands together. Oh, this is so crazy! I’m so nervous!