Chapter 8- When One Chapter Ends

Whoa Baby.

Chapter 8- When One Chapter Ends

"Here's to the FUTURE, because I'm done with the PAST." – Unknown

The A.C. in the room had to be set to at least sixty-five degrees. It was a bit chilly, enough for me to want a sweater. The small room with egg shell colored walls only has one window, with blinds half covering the view that over looked the parking lot. The examining table I sat on, a hideous mint green polyester cushion with paper crinkling as I moved around. The room was the typical doctor smell and latex gloves. Cartoon stickers on the wall, some half pealed and ripped off.

It was quiet. Not even the sound of children crying or nurses chatting. Me and my empty thoughts; waiting. Waiting. Impatiently waiting. Biting my lips, bouncing my knee, tapping my fingers, staring at the blue specked white tiled floor. Waiting.

Taking a deep breath I closed my eyes, for what felt like a single second, then there was a knock. The door opened. In came a brunette doctor, typical white coat and clip board. Greeting me with a warm smile.

"So Paisley, with the blood work and urine sample you gave us last week we now have the results to your tests." The female doctor told me after she closed the door behind her. She sat on stool with wheels in front of me. Opening my file and reading it over. Writing some things down before looking at me. I couldn't say a word, because I knew what was coming.

"These test results are confidential unless you want me to notify your parents or guardians. So keep that in mind." She continues. "Paisley, congratulations. You're test results came back positive. You're pregnant."

Silence.

You could drop a needle in the room and be able to hear it clear as day. Tears formed in the back of my eyes, my stomach dropped, and my heart ached. The news ware no longer a surprise, it was exactly what I expected to hear, but I just hoped I'd be wrong for once.

"Do you need a moment?" The doctor asked me in a small voice. I shook my head when she put a box of tissues by my side thinking I'd need them. "Paisley, there are other options. Abortion is certainly an option because it's in the correct time range, but keep in mind because you're in the state of North Carolina, and you're still considered a minor, you need parental consent. Is that something you are considering?" She asks, humbly.

I shake my head as an answer. Not being able to speak. I couldn't bring myself to speak. "Very well then. Another option is adoption. Of course you'd need to go through all nine months of the pregnancy, but once the infant is born it'll go straight to his or hers new parents. We can give you all the information to the best adoption centers. They'll do all the work for you and choose the best parents. You could-"

"You know," I said speaking up in a small voice, thinking if I spoke any louder I'd crack and spill my tears, "It would have been more appropriate to say: unfortunately, Paisley, your test results came back positive. You're pregnant at seventeen. I wasn't trying to get pregnant so, yeah, it's not congratulations. Plan B failed and now I'm positively pregnant." I explained in a shaky voice. I shook my head pressing my lips together, "I wanted Plan B to be positive and the stick to be negative, not the other way around. The irony." I say, shaking my head as I grabbed my bag, slinging it over my shoulder and dropping my feet down to the floor.

"Paisley-" The doctor says, trying to stop me from leaving.

"Thank you doctor and yes, I want to keep this one hundred percent confidential. I don't believe in abortion and I'll need some time to sleep on the adoption idea." I tell her softly with my hand on the door knob.