Chapter 37- When You Least Expect It

Whoa Baby

Chapter 37- When You Least Expect It

"He who has no stress is dead." - Mrs. L [health class teacher]

"Paisley you need to pick a name already!" JC shouts as we're both seated on the couch. Outside the snow is falling a bit harder than it was earlier, and if I were JC I would have left already to avoid being snowed in, but it didn't even fathom him at the slightest.

"It's not like he's going to be nameless! I've got to put something on his birth certificate." I mutter, shaking my head as I pulled the blanket tighter around my shoulders. "I should really pack a baby bag, huh?" I say mostly to myself.

"What do you mean?" He asks nervously.

"A bag for me to bring to the hospital. The one that will carry my clothes and some for the baby." I explain, scrolling down on the article I was reading on Mommy's To Be. He runs his hands down his face after messing up his hair. Rubbing is rough, dry hands down his slight prickled cheeks from not shaving. "Why do you look so stressed out?" I ask, shaking my head as I observed his tired looking face.

"I haven't been sleeping. If you must know." He sighs, resting his head back on the couch and closing his eyes.

"How come?" I question, curious to find out why.

"I don't know about you, but I'm stressed out because I'm eighteen and having a baby. If that doesn't freak or stress you out than I don't know what does." He responds a bit bitterly.

"Correction, I'm having a baby." Like literally a baby is coming out of me not him.

"You know what I mean." He mumbles mid yawn.

"I have one last appointment tomorrow." I mention, looking back down at my article, "So I probably won't be around if you come to swing by."

"You don't want me to go?" He asks, raising his eye brow with his eyes still closed.

"You don't have to. It's just a quick check up." I tell him, shrugging my shoulders, "I think my mom said she'll bring me. She might want to ask the doctor's a few questions." Of course Emma, Alice, and Miles wanted to come, but being away in college prevented that. I told them it wasn't a big deal anyways.

"Alrighty then." He yawns again. I wonder why he isn't getting any sleep.

Chewing on my bottom lip I watch him contently, seeing his chest falling and rising in a steady rhythm. "I know you're tired, but can I ask you something?" I whisper, leaning my head back on the couch and looking at him.

"I'm just resting my eyes. Shoot." He said in a normal and awake voice.

"Why do you want to name the baby Patrick so badly?" I ask, speaking above a whisper.

"Because I like the name Patrick." He responded so simply.

"So it has nothing to do with your grandfather?" I wonder, thinking that could be it. I didn't know one hundred percent if his grandfather was named Patrick, but it seemed likely that it could be. JC did say his grandfather was a big influence to him, it made sense if he wanted to name his son after him.

He opened his eyes slowly, turning his head to the side and looking at me, "I just like the name Patrick." He states more firmly.

"Is it because of your grandfather?" I press.

"What difference does it make?" He chuckles dryly, shrugging his shoulders and rubbing his eyes.

"Because it would make sense why you would want to name him after your grandfather. You loved him a lot, be believed in you, and you looked up to him." I reason, nodding my head.