Chapter 40- The Key To Family

Whoa Baby

Chapter 40- The Key To Family

"Life isn't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride." -Unknown

I kept looking in the rearview mirror to check up on Colton even though he's faced the other way. I was kind of upset, I mean I would have rather just carpooled with JC so I could sit in the back with Colton and JC could drive, but I can get over it. When at a red light- I'm hitting a lot of those sadly- I decided to call JC to see if he was on his way. I knew he said he wanted to come, he had something to do before and would meet me there, but I just wanted to remind him. He didn't pick up though, so I just left him a text, telling him I was already on the way.

There was another red light, and I was slowing down to them on purpose because of Colton in the car. Call me crazy I'm even going exactly on the speed limit. I can tell I'm annoying the old guy behind me. As I waited at this red light, I knew it was one of those long waiting ones. You know, the ones that take forever to turn back and it seems like it skips your turn. Yeah, that one. So to pass the time I look around, first at my phone briefly to see if JC answered, and then I just somehow ended up staring at the shops on my right.

The coffee shop on the side reminded me how much I miss coffee and if I even had a minute to spare I'd stop and go right on in, but I didn't and it's such a shame. My eyes eventually caught one thing though, JC. Can you believe it? Small world. JC in the coffee shop, but not alone though. Surprise, surprise. I don't think so anyways. Why else would he be talking to that tall blond chick? He does have a weakness for blond girls, and I can figure out easily why he was busy earlier and not taking my calls.

Huh, rude.

The annoyed old man behind me honked his horn, I didn't realize the light turned green. I finally got to the hospital, parking my car in the parking lot of the clinic, the spot closest to the entrance. I sat in the small pediatrician waiting room, rocking Colton back and forth in his car seat, watching him sleep. I already read all the sites, pamphlets and books. Today Colton would be receiving one immunization, Hep B. He had already taken a flu shot back at the hospital when he was born, but I guess you take two doses in your first year- one at the hospital and one in six months- and then one every year after.

What I'd be dreading most is when I have to bring him back next month. He'll have to get six shots! My poor baby. I hate hearing babies cry when they're getting their shots, I remember when I visited my pediatrician I could hear them all the time. It's so sad to hear them screaming and crying in pain.

Luckily, it wasn't hard to decide on a pediatrician. JC and I both had the same doctor I guess growing up. That is until I became a teenager and wanted a female doctor. It's much less awkward to talk about women things. Dr. Scott though is pretty good, but I guess I was a bit skeptical after finding out JC had him as a doctor too. Think about it, aren't doctor's supposed to be trained to spot signs of abuse and ask all those questions? I know I had my fair share of questioning back in the day.

When the nurse called me in I was surprised because I hadn't sat there for long and JC wasn't even here yet. I got up and followed the nurse, and after some polite exchanges I called JC one more time to only get his voicemail.

"The doctor will be in with you momentarily, but while we're waiting I'm going to ask you to take him over here with me so we can weight and measure him." The nurse said, pointing to the setup we had just passed.

I carefully pick up Colton from the seat and walk to the station. A baby bed, identical to the ones in the hospital was set on a scale so all I had to do was lay Colton there. "An even seven pounds."