Chapter 35-There He Goes

Whoa Baby

Chapter 35- There He Goes

"If you're man enough to create somebody, you should be name enough to stick around." -Kellin Quinn

Thanksgiving isn't ever big in my house, since my family is all over the place, but those who come, came. Of course my grandmother comes every year. Our next door neighbor always came since they moved here from Texas. They never went home for Thanksgiving. Sometimes my dad's sister would come with their two kids and my uncle. Sometimes my mom's younger brother would be attend, that is if he's ever around. An invitation would be extended to him, and we only found out if he would join us when he walks through the door midway through dinner.

This year of course was a little different. We invited Carrie and JC, which we've never done before. JC was correct, his mom was a bit hesitant on coming. She didn't give a reason why, but she didn't have to. She believed her presence would cause conflict or turned to a night of gossip. I assured her in a subtle way that I would probably be the talk of the night since no one beyond my immediate family and whole town knows about my pregnancy.

So yeah, it's sure to be an entertaining night to remember.

As of now though I was in the middle of baking some brownies and trying not to eat most of the batter. "I'll be right back, going to pick up the pastries from the bakery. Just keep an eye on the turkey." My dad says, wiping his hands on a dish towel.

"It's not going anywhere dad." I chuckle, eating a few chocolate chips before pouring them into the chocolaty batter.

"I know. I'll be gone for an hour or so. God knows how long that line is going to be." He sighs, shrugging on a coat, "Call me if you need anything." He says, exiting the kitchen. "Oh hey JC, I'll catch up with you later. On my way to grab dessert." My dad says on his way out. I lift my head up at the conversation, then glance over to the clock behind me. He's a bit early. Hours early actually.

I pour the batter in a butter pan, listening as the footsteps echoed closer to the kitchen. "I figured everyone would be in here today." JC mentions when he walks into the room.

"Everyone was here. Now it's just me." I mention, scrapping the bowl, but leaving some behind so I could eat it. "My mom left around noon to help out at the soup kitchen, SJ is probably in his room playing with his toys, and my dad just left."

"Well perfect timing for me to get here and keep you company." He states, sitting on one of the stoles around the island.

"Why are you here now if you're coming later?" I question, licking the batter off the spoon.

"I left work and decided to stop by so I could give you this." He says, dropping a clear bag with things of blue and green in front of me. I turn back around after putting the pan in the oven and the dirty spoon in the sink when saw the green and blue Sour Patch Kids, handpicked, in a clear baggie with a twist tie. He probably got them from a candy store or something. "Blue and green. Your favorite, right?"

It just struck me. Just like that, out of nowhere. I felt my heart tug, a tight squeeze in my chest. My eyes started to water and I kept thinking damn it! "JC." I whimpered, covering my mouth with my hand as I stared at the candy.

"I know, I know. I'm the greatest guy in the world. How sweet of you, blah blah, blah. Tell me something I don't know." He chuckles, clearly not reading my emotions. Which is why I stayed silent, hoping they'd just drift away any moment now. Bad enough I watched The Lorax this morning and cried, "Um, why are you... crying?" He questions, warily, shifting on his feet and looking uncomfortable.