Chapter 14: The Calm Before The Storm

Laura's POV

The community feast went much better than we expected. Everyone was actually really excited and happy that I was of royal bloodline. There were a few that were skeptics but once we showed them my mermaid form they quickly bowed down. The next few days were a blur of more training and preparing for the ball that is two days away. We are currently on Abel's boat with two more trailing behind heading to Seattle. We have a total of 15 mermaids looking for their mates as well as Nico, Kyler and Fin's Beta Noah and his mate Olivia. We called my mom to let her know we were coming back for a few days but we didn't tell her about our knowledge of mermaids just yet.

Once we pulled into port Fin and I headed to my mom's house while the rest went to the hotel. It was a shorter drive than I remember but before I knew it we were pulling into her driveway.

"Are you ready Mia Bella?" Fin asked while stroking my hand.

"As ready as I'll ever be to confront my mom about being a mermaid." I sighed as we exited the car and headed inside.

We didn't even make it to the door before my mom flung it open and wrapped her arms around me. "Oh my Laura how I've missed you! Oh my you must be the handsome young man that has stolen my daughter from me!" She exclaimed as she looked at Fin for the first time. She froze as soon as her eyes met his.

"Yes I am ma'am. I'm Fin Tanner and judging by the look on your face we have a lot to discuss." He said as he smiled at her.

She just nodded her head and ushered us inside. We sat around the kitchen table as my mom tried to steer the conversation away from the inevitable. "Would you like some coffee, I just made a fresh pot. I also have some pastries and muffins."

"Mom stop." I said grabbing her shaking hands. "We know what I am. Fin and I already completed the mating ritual and I have had my first shift. What we want to know is why you hid this from me and what you know."

She took a deep breath and sighed. "Laura I am not your real mother. Queen Layla was your real mother but she was being hunted shortly after giving birth to you. She didn't know who to turn to and your father and I were two of her most trusted and secret servants. No one knew about our connection to her so she gave you to us. She was found and murdered shortly after. Everyone thought she had lost you before giving birth after there was no sign of you for years. Before she gave you to us she had the white witch put a protection spell on you and any descendants you will have incase you never found your mate.

"But as I can see you have found him and you look like a kind handsome man Fin. Please protect her with everything you have. She may not be my daughter by blood but she will always be my daughter in my mind and heart." She let a few tears slip as her voice broke at the last part.

"Oh mom, you will always be my mother." I said as I pulled her into a hug.

"Don't worry ma'am I will protect her with my life as well as our whole community." Fin said as he placed a hand on both of our shoulders.

We stayed a little while longer filling her in on the past months events. We then headed to the hotel to get some much needed sleep before the ball tomorrow.

Olivia and I spent all day getting ready for the big night. She was a very sweet and caring woman as well as a hell of a fighter. She was taller then me with long dark brown hair and hazel eyes. She had done my hair into large bouncy curls and pinned it to one side. I had on a sleek form fitting red silk gown that flowed to the floor. It had a long slit up the one leg an open back with a halter neckline. While Olivia had a elegant sapphire gown that reminded me of a princess dress. It had a sweetheart neckline and was beautifully embroidered.