Chapter 20: Fight or Flight

Laura's POV

As I made my way to the harbor the scene in front of me almost brought me to my knees. There were hundred of the black mermaids fighting all of our best warriors. Limbs were being bitten and torn while some had weapons they were using. Werewolves and vampires attacked and shredded the black mermaids from the docks and shore while our mermaids fought them in the water. Even in their human form the Tonrar still looked like monsters. They hardly resembled humans even though they had arms and legs.

I scanned the chaos for Fin and could not see him anywhere. As soon as I felt a sharp pain scrap down my back I knew I had to find him. I could feel him getting weaker as I ran into the battle. I could hear Monkey and Abel screaming for me to get back but just as I was about to stop I saw Fin fighting a Tonrar off in the water to my right. I stood frozen as I watched them claw at one another. Fin was struggling as he had several severe wounds and I saw another Tonrar swimming towards him from behind.

Without thinking I dove into the water and shifted. I swam as fast as I could and intercepted the mermaid heading for Fin. It tried clawing at me but I quickly grabbed its throat and ripped it out. I turned my attention back toward Fin who was now losing to the Tonrar he was fighting. I quickly concentrated all my powers and let out a massive blast that knocked out all the Tonrar in a 5 mile radius before swimming over and grabbing ahold of Fin. He was so weak he began shifting back into his human form as I made my way to the beach.

"L-Laura what.. are you d-doing? G-get back to s-safety." Fin commanded as he drifted in and out of consciousness.

"No I'm not leaving you!" I yelled at him as I shifted back into my human form and dragged him onto the beach.

As soon as I got him on the beach Steven, Monkey and Noah rushed over. They picked him up and carried him to our old cabin and started dressing his wounds. "This is really bad, I need more bandages and antiseptic now!" Steven shouted as Monkey ran out to go grab more.

"Move let me help!" I said as I pushed through Nico and Garret who had met us at the cabin.

I grabbed his hand and began focusing trying to heal him. Due to me being pregnant and the energy I had already used saving him I was feeling rather weak. I pushed myself harder then I ever had as I felt the tingling sensation start growing in my chest. I kept pushing myself as I felt it spread through me into Fin and his wounds began to heal. Before I could heal them all the way i felt myself getting dizzy and weaker. I began to fall but luckily Nico's quick hands grabbed me before I hit the floor.

"Lay her on the couch now! She's used too much energy she needs to rest! Call Dr. Harper now!" Steven orders as Nico carried me to the couch.

I was barely conscious by the time Dr. Harper rushed in and began checking my vitals. Steven was just finishing stitching Fin up as he came over to help Dr. Harper. "Her vitals are low but she will be alright. She just needs a lot of rest and I am putting her back on bedrest for the remainder of her pregnancy."

He pulled Steven away from me before he whispered to where I couldn't hear him. I only saw Steven nod his head in agreement as I closed my eyes and drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

Once I awoke I was in our bed in our new house and the sun was streaming through the window. I quickly looked around for Fin as he walked into the bedroom carrying a tray full of eggs, sausage and milk. I breathed a sigh of relief knowing he was alright. He still had a bandage wrapped around his shoulder where he was stabbed with a spear but other than that he was fine.

"Good morning Mia Bella how are you feeling," he asked as he set the tray down on my night stand.

"I feel much better now that I know you are safe." I said caressing his stubbled cheek. "I was so afraid I was going to lose you. I couldn't stay here and not do anything. How is everyone doing? Did we get all the Tonrar?"