Chapter 4: The Cove

Ice cold water was soaking through my clothes as a large black jagged fin was coming at me while a pair icy blue eyes stare into my ocean blue eyes.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Get up Ms. Bell we are leaving in 20 minutes."

I awoke from my dream yet again drenched in sweat to Mr. Hook knocking on my door. I groaned rolled over to see it 4:00 am. Shit. I got to move fast if I wanna be ready in 20. I get up and take a fast shower, throw my wavy hair into a high ponytail, grab my gear and rush out the door.

"Wow 17 minutes I'm impressed Ms. Bell" said Mr. Hook who was leaned up against the wall outside my door.

"Where's Monkey and Mr. Johnson?"

"Well Mr. Johnson is already on the boat checking his gear and our dear Monkey has been throwing up all morning so he is staying in bed today. Hopefully he will feel better when we go out tomorrow."

"I told him not to eat those left over nachos from on the way here last night. But what are we going to do being down a man?"

"We will just have to make do. I already tried offering one of the locals a good amount of money to travel with us today but none would even hear me out once I mentioned the cove. Oh well let's get going we have a lot of ground to cover and only a short window to do so."

The walk to the boat was quiet and everyone we passed seemed to whisper and share a horrified or sad look. I understand local legends but it has to be a coincidence there is no fish out there big enough to take down boats like the one we have let alone the crews as well. Is there? I started to question everything about this trip but shook off that uneasy feeling as we headed off towards the cove. About 30 minutes later we arrived at the entrance to the cove and anchored there so we could scope out the entrance and make sure there were no obstacles that would stop us from entering or damage the ship in anyway. I sent out our mobile underwater camera to scope it out and map out the ocean floor below while Mr. Johnson sent out the drone for an arial view. To my surprise the entrance was very deep and there were no glaciers or obstacles lying under the waters surface. Mr. Johnson confirmed with the drone that there were no obstacles in sight so we pulled up the anchor and headed into the cove.

We maneuvered the boat into the entrance which had two large glaciers on each side that looked like giant ice covered skyscrapers stretching well above 20 stories. As I was mesmerized by the glacier entrance I didn't notice how large and eerie the cove actually was. I turned my attention to the cove which had glacier walls surrounding every inch of the cove that were just as tall as the entrance. Some even jetted out and created bridge like structures and over passes. As we traveled further in I noticed how quickly the temperature dropped from a comfortable 60 degrees to a now freezing 34. I went and grabbed my favorite blue hoodie from my bag when all of a sudden something caught my eye in the distance.

"Mr. Hook do you see that towards the port side by the wall?" I yelled up to him

"I do now Ms. Bell it looks like a boat."

"Well let's get closer maybe they have some answers as to why people are afraid of this place."

He nodded and shifted direction towards the boat. Once we got close I started hollering to the boat to get someone's attention but no one answered. As we got up to the boat we noticed it was a small two to three person fishing boat and it looked like it had been abandoned. We pulled up next to it and Mr. Johnson hopped aboard to see if anyone was in the cabin and didn't hear us but he came back and shook his head. It was completely abandoned. As Mr. Johnson was hopping back into our boat I noticed how the empty boat still had all of their reels set up and even one was still in the water. Mr. Hook must have noticed the same thing I did as he said "alright let's get away from this area and we will report our findings of the boat once we get back to the docks. Let's go and explore the overpass on the other side I think that will be a good place to start."