Chapter Thirty-Seven

Valerie's POV:

"Take a seat." Michele instructed us. Taking a glance towards Lyndsey, she simply shrugged. "We need to have a serious talk." Her voice was strained as the older woman sat across from us.

"I figured as much seeing as how you called us in here at the ass crack of dawn." Lyndsey said, yawning. Tousling my hair, I sat awkwardly next to the Australian native. "Get to the point, Michele."

"You two have caused quite the uproar back in the states." Michele started, not looking up from her computer. "So, what's going on here?" She asked, rolling back to her printer and pulling a picture from it, sliding it over to us. Furrowing my brow, I watched as Lyndsey picked it up. Leaning over, I could see that it was a picture of us kissing.

"What does it look like?" Lyndsey asked, nonchalant.

"Don't play stupid, Lyndsey." Michele's voice was oozing with annoyance at this point. But that didn't seem to bother Lyndsey.

"I mean," Lyndsey laughed, leaning back into the chair. Lyndsey looked at her fingernails as if she was bored by this meeting, "What does it look like, Michele? Two grown women kissing. I mean I don't get what's so bad about kissing." I could feel a boulder find its place on my chest. Was she slipping back into one of her moods?

"There's nothing bad about it. It's just you're a model! You're in the public eye, Lyndsey. You can't just be going around kissing women!" Michele argued, but before anything else was said, Lyndsey pulled me towards her, kissing me passionately on the lips. I gawked at her, surprised she would so openly do such a thing in front of Michele. "Are you kidding me?!" Michele shrieked.

"What's the big fucking deal? It' is not the 1800's, Michele, who gives a fuck if people see? Listen, are we done here?" Lyndsey said abruptly, standing up from her seat, "Because I have some shit I need to take care of after this shoot, so I need to get to work." She said.

"Wait-." But I didn't get the chance to call her back as she was gone now. I gave Michele a glance from the side, not wanting to deal with her alone now.

"You have to talk sense into her, Valerie." Michele urged me. Looking back to the tired woman, I sat there conflicted with this situation.

"Why? I mean... what is the big deal?"

"It's bad for business!" Michele argued, her voice becoming high pitched now. I watched as she pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration. "Listen, you guys can't be doing this kind of things in the public. We could lose funding and credibility."

"Then maybe you shouldn't work with people who would cut funding over two of your employees seeing one another?" I laughed, standing myself now.

"I could fire you." Michele spoke calmly, stopping me in my tracks. "Then what? You'll be jobless. We've made you who you are." I didn't bother looking at her to see the smirk on her lips. "How will you explain that to your family?" But I didn't get the chance to say a word as Brian made his presence known.

"Hey, they need Valerie for a fitting... everything alright?" Brian asked, a concerned expression appearing on his features. Shaking my head, I left the room. Did she really just threaten me? As I walked down the hallway, my phone sent me a notification tone; a new message. I pulled out my phone, smiling when I saw two words from my best friend: Come over. "Are you alright?" I was surprised to see Brian walking beside me.

"Yeah," I breathed a sigh, offering a small smile.

"Well, I wouldn't worry so much about Michele," He started, handing me a water bottle. I smiled, taking the refreshment, "Between you and me? She's just a grouch because her boyfriend dumped her last month." He said, casting me a wink. I laughed, shaking my head, taking a sip of the water.