Chapter Three:

Valerie's Point Of View:

                I watched from my car as the police tape flapped in the wind. My hair blew over my face as the cold midnight air picked up, sending a chill down my spine. My home; or... it used to be. I took a long breath as my knuckles gripped the steering wheel. A bright light flashed into my eyes as I opened the car door; motion sensor obviously. The cool midsummer air kissed my skin as I moved the forgotten tape above my head. There I stood; motionless and frightful at what I knew happened here all those months ago... My mouth was dry as I stuck the key into the door. I clenched my jaw tightly as I moved the door aside slowly. I scrunched my nose as the smell of rotten food hit me square in the face as if I had been punched. I almost threw up on the spot. 'Fuck... I completely forgot to empty the fridge... oh god...' I covered my nose with my shirt as I took the first step inside. The first thing I did.... With puking quite a few times during it... was grab as many trash bags as I could... and threw all of the rotten food in the garbage can.

                With that done I walked down the dark hallway towards the room that I dreaded entering. The feeling of being watched seemed to grow insanely strong. My head was constantly turning; making sure that feeling was incorrect. Why I chose to do this now when it was basically pitched black, no electricity in the house was beyond my comprehension. 'It doesn't matter why I'm here. The fact of the matter is I need to get my crap and get the fuck out of here.' I told myself multiple times. I walked passed the many photos on the wall and went straight into the family room; where my entire life took a turn for the worst. I looked down between the coffee table and the couch to see an empty patch of carpet missing. That's how my neighbour found her... faced down in a pool of her own blood. As I looked at the last place I saw her... tears flew down my cheeks as I closed my eyes. I sat down on the coffee table as I laid my face on my hands, letting the tears fall violently as I cried alone in the dark home. My mother had been murdered.... I felt my chest tighten as I screamed out, only to hear nothing coming from my vocal cords. I stood up; kicking the coffee table as hard as I could and watching it fly across the room. I picked up one of the lamps that on a nearby nightstand and slammed it into the empty spot where my mother took her last breath. I dug my hands into my hair as I felt a panic attack begin, that is until my eyes flew open to the sound of my cell phone ringing. I took a few deep breaths as I answered, wondering who on earth would even think to call this late at night.

                "Hello?" I prayed that whoever it was, they couldn't tell how miserable I really was at that moment or that fact that I had be crying. Then the one person that I didn't expect to hear rang into my ear.

                "Hey, sorry I'm calling you so late. I... well I couldn't sleep." She laughed, making a smile grow on my sad face. "Were you asleep?"

                "No, I've been up... doing..." I took a moment and sighed, "Homework." I wondered if she knew how much I just bullshitted that. I heard Lyndsey click her tongue.

                "Pretty late for that, don't you think? Besides, I thought you were transferring your credits to a school over here?" 'Fuck, I completely forgot about that.' I bit my lip as I tried to come up with another excuse. "It's alright. You don't have to tell me if you don't feel like it." I closed my eyes in relief.

                "Thank you. So, what's wrong?" I asked as I walked away from the horrible room.

                "Nothing really." Her accent was strong. "Just like I said, I couldn't sleep is all." She answered as I headed to the staircase; my shirt covering my nose as passed the kitchen. "Are you alright? You sound kind of sick."