Chapter Forty

Valerie's POV:

I stared hard at the photo again, trying to see if it was really Brian next to Robert or not. I furrowed my brows in frustration though, my eyes didn't seem to be one hundred percent yet. Dizziness was my constant still. Lyndsey's breath caught my attention though, it had become very labored. I intertwined our hands, her eyes pulling away from the photo that I know laid on the opposite side of her.

"Hey," I started, trying to keep her gaze on me. "Are you okay?" A deep sigh escaped her lips, her free hand digging into her now unkempt hair.

"No." She laughed dryly with a firm shake of her head, "This cannot be happening. You seriously can't tell that is Brian?" Her voice was weak, looking over her shoulder to ensure no one could hear us for some reason.

"I mean, it is possible, but what are the chances?" My voice sounded unsure to even my own ears then. "My eyes are having some trouble focusing," I could see the worry drawn on her features though, "I'm okay, Lyn. Why do you think it's him though?"

"I just have this feeling, I can't explain it. Does Brian even have a tattoo?" Lyndsey sighed, her eyes shut tightly. I couldn't stop myself from grabbing her hand -  pulling the photo away - lacing my fingers with hers. She looked as if she hadn't slept these past few days, causing a type of dread to ease into the back of my mind. I rubbed the top of her hand with my thumb, slowly and hopefully in a soothing way.

"Right now, there isn't much to even prove that theory." I said with a light shrug, placing my free hand upon her cheek. "I'm not sure about the tattoo part as he mainly wears a watch with long sleeves." I added. If we weren't in the situation currently, I would have adored the fact that she instantly melted into my touch. Lyndsey placed her hand over my own, kissing the inside of my wrist, her lips lingering against my skin. I couldn't hide the redness that flashed upon my cheeks.

"I don't want anything bad to happen to you..." Her voice was strained. If I didn't know better, she was struggling with controlling her emotions. "I wasn't kidding when I said I love you Stella." I couldn't help but smile at a nickname she hasn't used in a while.

"Why Stella?" Lyndsey offered a small smile, pulling her hand away from mine to wipe a tear from her cheek.

"I don't mean anything negative around it."

"I thought you said it meant bitch?" I smiled warmly. She looked up behind her lashes before her eyes dropped to her lap once more.

"Perhaps I am unsure how to show affection." She averted her eyes in an attempt to avoid my gaze while her tongue clicked on the roof of her mouth. I glanced downward to see her thigh bouncing - a clear indication of her stress level. Although I couldn't move very far - mainly due to my IV drip - I scooted closer to her. I was able to lay her had in my lap, brushing my fingers through the tangled mess to smooth it out. Lyndsey took a deep breath, nestling herself against my stomach. "I don't want to lose you." Her voice sounded terrified just now, earning a frown from me. I felt her hand slide behind my back, gripping onto my gown in desperation.

"You're not going to lose me - I love you too much to allow Robert to continue with ruining my life anymore." I could feel her tense slightly. Lyndsey raised her head, her eyes red from crying. I could tell she was biting the inside of her cheek as if she was debating on speaking.

She wasn't able to though when my doctor had entered the room with three other people. The doctor looked at Lyndsey for only a moment before coming to the other side of my bed. Lyndsey sat up right, wiping at her face to hide her tears from the strangers in the room. She cleared her throat as doctor spoke.

"Miss Christopher, I am Dr. Gisslen. How are you feeling?" Hhe asked with a monotone voice.

"Fine, what's the matter?" I asked, sensing something was off in his appearance. The doctor looked at Lyndsey with a questionable look before turning back to me. That struck strange to me for some reason.