Chapter Twenty-Five

Author's Note:

Sorry for such a long gap of uploads! I hope I am able to update again soon. My goal is to finish this story before I write the new one! VOTE and COMMENT please, I love to hear from everyone.

-Amy

Valerie's POV:

I looked across the table, watching Lyndsey's eyes skim over the menu. As her eyes caught mine, I could feel my face flush. I always hated the fact that my face gave away my embarrassment. When I looked back to her, she was looking at me intently.

"You two ready to order?" A young woman asked with a smile directed towards us. As she looked over to Lyndsey, her expression changed. "Aren't you... Oh my God!" I smirked as I took a sip of my water. "You're Lyndsey Ryan!"

"Yes, I am." She nodded, not taking her eyes off me. I looked up to the waitress, trying to ignore Lyndsey's stare. I could feel my body heat up under her eyes.

"Do you have any type of cake? It's her birthday." I winked towards the unamused Lyndsey. The waitress gasped, hurrying off towards the kitchen.

"Ugh... They better not sing happy birthday." She groaned as she crossed her arms over her chest. I stuck my tongue out at her playfully. I couldn't help the grin that grew upon my lips as I looked over her shoulder to see the chain of restaurant staff that were approaching the table.

"Happy Birthday!" They yelled in unison, startling Lyndsey. I laughed as she placed a hand on her chest. "Happy birthday from all of us to you!" They sang, clapping and dancing. I looked around to see the entire place looking in our direction as they placed a massive piece of cake with a lit candle in the middle of the table. No faster than it all started, the staff all cleared out and Lyndsey blew out the single candle. I looked at the birthday girl who rose a brow at me.

"I hate you." She said quietly, tapping a finger on the table. I clicked my tongue on the roof of my mouth as I grabbed a fork. "What do you think you're doing?" She asked as I stole a bite. "It's my birthday." She added with a sly grin, grabbing her own fork.

"Technically..." I mumbled through the bite. "It's not anymore." I smiled as I showed her the time on my phone; two a.m.

"So, what you're telling me is that you used me to get a free piece of cake?" She asked, even though she already knew the answer. I nodded before taking another bite. "Wow." She laughed as she enjoyed the food. "Not going to lie... It's pretty delicious."

"My mom loved coming here on the weekends," I said with a half smile. "They have excellent crepes..."

"I'm sorry..." She faded off with a genuine frown. I shook my head.

"Don't. It's not like what happened was your fault. Robert was very abusive... Everyone tried to tell her to leave him but, she wouldn't. She was scared." I expressed honestly, trying to keep my composure. I looked up at her to find her glance looking elsewhere. "What are the odds that we'd share the same fucked up story?" I asked in the silencing moment. Her eyes fluttered up to me slowly; as if afraid of something. "Though I suppose your situation was much worse than my own..."

"Yeah..." She sighed, digging her hands into her hair. "My mind is so messed up right now." She laughed as she dropped her hands on the table. I bit my lip as I moved my hands forward; interlocking my fingers with hers. Her eyes shot up at me, confused. "What are you doing?"

"I'm here... If you ever want to talk. I know what you're going through. Maybe it was fate that brought us together..." I breathed, rubbing my thumbs on her hands. Her brow creased as she pulled her hands away.