Chapter Thirteen

Valerie's POV:

I looked at her with a shocked expression; she just wore a smirk on her lips. I blinked a few times before turning away from her, looking forward as she drove out of the garage. I didn't know what to say, my heart was racing fast and I didn't understand what that could mean. I've never experienced this before. We sat in silence for a moment before she spoke again, "Valerie?" Her voice sounded odd to me, but not in a bad way. I looked over to her, surprised to see a serious look on her face as she focused on the road. As we stopped at a red light, she looked at me. My face must have turned a bright red with that intense look she was giving me. Maybe I was turning this into something it wasn't? The last girlfriend I had was that bitch who cheated on me. Despite being with her for over a year, we never even reached a level of love. Our relationship ended up being only a physical element for her. "Are you going to talk to me?" Her accent rang through my ears heavenly. I didn't realize how much I was falling for the sound of her voice. 'Stop!' I yelled to myself as I looked back to her. Her dark brown eyes were digging into me.

"Y-yes." I stammered out; hating myself for sounding like an idiot.

"Well, we're here now. Come on, we can talk after we order our food." She said as she pulled into a parking spot, not even waiting for me as she got out and shut the door. I sighed, following after her.

---

"A sub shop?" I asked, perplexed that Lyndsey had chosen a place like this. She looked down at me with a smile on her face, waiting behind a large line. "Aren't you afraid to be seen?"

"Haven't you noticed that I couldn't care less if they get photos of me? Besides, this place has the best-grilled chicken subs on the planet." She assured me as we finally made our way to the counter. We waited for probably a few more minutes until our ordered was filled, heading to the back of the restaurant. Some people were whispering as we walked past them, but luckily none of them had confronted Lyndsey. More than half the time she went out, someone always asked her to take a picture with her or just simply talk to her. It was nice to go out with her and not have that happen; yet anyway...

"So, what's the matter? Talk." She ordered the moment I opened my sub. I sighed, dropping it to my basket. I looked up to her, noticing she had decided to dig right in, not taking her eyes off me.

"Is this why you asked me to lunch? So... you could grill me in public knowing I couldn't run away from you because you drove us?" I questioned, finally taking a bit. 'Oh wow... this is good!'

"Well yes, I thought that was obvious." She laughed, leaning against the booth. "So, talk to me."

"There's nothing to talk about," I whispered, playing with the necklace that made me feel connected to my mom. My eyes locked with Lyndsey's, making a chill run down my spine. I looked away from her, hating that these past few months had been pure torture for me. Emalie was around that much more, staying the night. I didn't hate the girl at all; she was actually a pretty amazing woman. But... it was hard for me to see the two of them together. I'd never say anything about it, though. But as I looked back to her, her intense chocolate eyes digging into me. It sucked the life from me, but also made me feel alive.

"Well... if you didn't want to talk... there's something I'd like to talk to you about." She informed after a moment of awkward silence. I leaned back against the booth; I gave her a nod for her to continue. "Well... as you already know. Emalie lives in a dump. So..." I had a feeling I already knew where this was going as she gave me a bashful grin, looking towards the ceiling before giving me her attention. "I convinced her to sell it." I felt a strange feeling hit me like a ton of bricks, but I nodded for her to continue anyway "Well... until she finds a place, she's going to stay with us for a little while."