Chapter 8: Dodged a Bullet

Please comment & vote. Thanks!

This is only Aria's POV... sorry you have to wait & see what X thinks about her.

This is where it all starts to change ...

******************************************************************************  

Recap chap 7:

He walked me to my room and hesitated at the door. I hadn't wanted to do this, but I knew I had no choice. There was no looking back, my future depended on it.

“Xavier, can you come in? I wanted to talk to you.” I asked with hopeful eyes.

***************************************

Chapter 8: Dodged a Bullet

Arianna POV

"Xavier, can you come in? I wanted to talk to you."I  asked.

He looked hopeful, which set my mind at ease. He followed me into my room and perched himself comfortably on the window seat. I settled myself on the bed nervously. I decided to start with small talk in an effort to gather the nerve to ask the really important question.

"I had a nice time today, thank you. I didn't realize how much I missed him." That was a good start, honesty was the best policy.

"It was my pleasure Aria. I enjoy your father's company..." He hesitated, hesitation was bad.

"And yours." Hesitation was good. Who knew? I was mesmerized by his eyes, probably lingered a little too long. He hadn't seemed nervous. It was time for something a little more intense. I broke the silence.

"I wanted to ask something. It's difficult for me." I gazed out the window. I hadn't wanted to see what his eyes may have revealed.

"Is there something going on between you and Selene?" I blurted nervously. Only to be answered by silence. Hesitation WAS bad. I felt like I could have cried. Why had I let myself be so vulnerable?

When a semblance of courage returned, I looked for him by the window but he was gone. I felt the soft mattress depress with his weight. I knew he was next to me. So close, yet so far away.

"It's okay, you don't have to answer. It's none of my business." I whispered. Despair washed over me.

"You're right. It's none of your business." His voice was calm and steady.

"But I'll answer your question if you answer one of mine." I nodded. It was the only gesture I could muster. He closed his eyes and sighed reluctantly. When he opened them, they were like a stormy ocean of emotion. I wanted him to lie to me. Please lie to me.