Chapter1: Arianna, Fiancee to the Prince

Please comment & vote. I have at least 15 chapters done, but won't upload unless I get some feed back.  

check out the pic I added of Arianna... I found it online but it's a good representation :)  

Please listen to the songs that I have added... I love them all & they either sum up the chapter or just plain ROCK!!!

Thanks=:)

*******************************************************************************************

Chapter 1: Arianna, Fiancée To The Prince

I lounged on the balcony and surveyed the expanse of lush greenery that carpeted the palace grounds. Wisps of green danced in the gentle breeze as white and red blossoms swayed in unison. A black sedan that barreled down the long and winding drive caught my attention. I knew this was the Prince, who had returned from royal business with the leader of the human clan in his kingdom.

The royal family had made a treaty of peace with the humans that unified the two races and solidified their standing as rulers in this land. Of course, not all humans embraced this treaty. Nor did all vampires, but King Asteroth could be cruel if forced, and no one dared oppose him.

The humans worked as servants, performed duties in the palace and volunteered blood that fed their immortal leaders. Only a select group was used in this manner. They were treated decently and given certain privileges. Of course, wrongdoers such as murders and thieves were dealt with accordingly and often used in whatever way the King decided. Some begged for mercy and were enslaved, while others laughed in the face of immortal power and died at the hands of the royals. Their blood was drained and was used to prolong the lives of the vampires in the kingdom.

All in all, the vampires treated the humans well and all sides were happy with their circumstance. In an attempt to strengthen the bonds of peace, the human leader, Stefan, offered his daughter Arianna to be betrothed to Prince Xavier. She knew this was her fate since the age of 13 and welcomed the chance to fulfill her duty. She was to marry the vampire Prince at the age of 19, and live as the Princess of Carisia.

A swift, sudden thudding on the door startled me out of my thoughts. I glided to the door and opened it while I greeted its occupant with a smile. Zander, the Prince's servant, and my trusted friend of many months smiled warmly and greeted me.

"Good afternoon Arianna. Prince Xavier is expecting you. It's time for your daily visit." Zander was a human with a medium build. He was a tall man with light brown shaggy hair and dark, smiling brown eyes.

"Good to see you." I sighed.

"Is there any new gossip running around the servants quarters today? There hasn't been a scandal since it was discovered that Maria was with child! She is lucky the King is so merciful and let her stay on in the castle. It's not like she can be fed off of now, that's a bit of a blow for them." Zander gazed at the floor uncomfortably when I continued my line of questioning.

"So..." I probed.

"Did you discover who the father was, or is it still a mystery?" I teased. He looked very nervous while I awaited his response.

"No, she refused to name him. I guess she feels she is protecting him." He answered nervously and sweat beaded on his forehead.

"Hmm." I responded, knowing full well that when he felt able, he would have confessed to me himself, that he was indeed the father. I knew him too well and we couldn't have kept our secrets hidden from each other. After all, he was like a brother to me. I felt bad that I'd taken advantage of his fragile state and decided to let him off the hook.

"Okay then, I guess I'll go meet with my fiancé now." I let out a distasteful sigh. I knew, as he did, that I didn't want this but it was my duty so I embraced it willingly. I trudged off without another word toward the Prince's quarters. After a minute or two, I was roused from my thoughts of honor and duty by a flat and emotionless voice.

"Good afternoon Arianna. How are you today?" Selene inquired respectfully. Selene was a beautiful human with dark, full bodied hair and light blue eyes. She had a nice figure, much better than mine, with voluptuous curves and a full bosom. She was a stark contrast to me. I had deep auburn hair that fell to my shoulders in curls, almost ringlets. My skin was pale, a creamy ivory, although not as pale as the vamps around here, and my eyes were an azure color, almost teal. I was thin, yet healthy, with a less curvy figure than Selene and breasts that left a little to be desired, in my opinion.

It was no contest between the two of us. She had men falling at her feet; they tripped and fought to be around her, while I never got a second look, well almost never, from anyone. That included my fiancé. I was inferior to her, and I was resigned to accept that fact.

"I'm fine Selene, thanks for asking. You must be getting excited with the upcoming nuptials coming near." I stated with a slight bitterness that leaked from my words. I'd hope she hadn't notice, or maybe I hoped she had!

"Yes, well, it's certainly exciting." She stated flatly.

"I suppose you are off to your visit with Prince Xavier?" She questioned with a hint of something in her voice as well.

"Well... enjoy your afternoon." She said while she walked away. What was it that I heard in her voice? Was it envy, annoyance, or perhaps jealousy? I couldn't tell and it hadn't mattered what she thought. Not everyone could have had the good fortune to marry the Prince. Not that her fiancé was such a terrible option. Plenty of girls would have killed to be engaged to the brother of the Prince. I blushed, just at the thought of it.

I realized, as I looked up, that I was standing in front of a large, ornate, mahogany door. My feet must have carried me here out of habit, because I hadn't remembered that I consciously steered myself in that direction. I took a deep breath, and let out an exasperated sigh.

"It's time to fulfill my duty." I muttered to myself and knocked gently on the door.

***************************************************************************************************

Vote & comment :)