Ch 29

It would take an eternity to count the number of eyes that were staring at me. Not to mention the number of cameras shooting me, and the number of mics floating around.

I sat at the center of a long table, my cheeks were flushed and the back of my neck burned. Next to me Jackson sat staring. His hand slowly stroked up and down my thigh, it was his failed attempt of trying to comfort me. I looked at his hand, then trailed up his veiny and muscular arm. He was dressed in the same shirt he wore on our first date. He made an effort to comb his hair, his brown eyes were inviting and sincere.

I wondered if his heart was beating as fast as mine. I wondered if the cameras that were filming and snapping pictures of me could read the intimidation on my face. I wondered if the people in the dozens of rows of chairs knew what I was about to say. I also wondered if they would agree with my decision. But most of all, I wondered what Jackson would think. Through this whole experience he's been so understanding and trusting of me. Out of everyone I know, aside from Logan, Jackson is who I trust the most. Over the past few months I've grown to genuinely care a lot for him. He's the joke when I need a laugh. The shoulder when I want to cry. A friend when I want to have fun, and my guy when I don't want to be alone. I love all those things about him. And I think I'm in love with him.

I stole another gaze at the Greek god of a man sitting next to me. He smiled and brought his lips to my cheek.

"Go ahead, babe." He whispered to me. I smiled back at him then faced forward.

Before me, across the table were six caps. Each of them had a logo to one of the colleges that I was considering committing to. Alabama was on the far right. Followed by Michigan. Directly in front of Jackson was Arizona State. Directly in front of me was Stanford. Then UCLA and Oklahoma.

I was to pick up one of the hats. The one I chose would be how I told the world what college I decided to attend. It all seemed too much, but it makes a good story for the news. After I chose my cap and placed it on my head I'm going to slide over and let Jackson fill out paperwork, by doing so he will have successfully signed and committed to playing football at a university. Such a huge outcome from placing a hat on my head, right?

I closed my eyes one last time before revealing my decision. After I opened them I took my hand and reached for my cap...

But before I let everyone know, here's how I got to where I am. Here's how my day started.

I woke up to my mother knocking on my door. As I sat up in my bed she entered my room. In her hand was a hanger, hanging from it was a nice looking outfit. She was smiling from ear to ear.

"I picked this up while we were in California. I thought I would be the perfect thing for you to wear to the signing. Plus it goes with pretty much any color. So whatever cap you pick won't throw off your look." She smiled at me as she hooked the hanger around my doorknob. "You sure you don't want to tell me what college you picked."

"You'll find out later." I rubbed my eyes and smiled at her. She sat on my bed, continuing to smile at me.

"I'm so proud of you." She took my hands. "Thank you for being such an amazing son."

"Chill out, mom." I giggled.

"I'm serious. You've surprised me everyday of your life. You make me proud on your worst days." Her eyes began to tear up. I held on tighter to her hand, and my eyes did the same.

"Thanks, mama."

We both looked at my door when we heard two quick knocks. Carly stood in the doorway, still in her pajamas.

"Am I interrupting?" She asked.

"No, honey. Come on in. I need to get ready to leave." My mom wiped her eyes. She stood and crossed paths with Carly. "I'll see you two at the signing. Be careful on your way to school."