Ch 25

You know how people say it takes more time going to a place than it does returning from it? Well it's the opposite for me. Maybe it was because the layovers or the fact that we had to get on two different plane just to get back home. Los Angeles to Albuquerque, than back to Denver. I mentioned that I hate flying, today just deepened the hatred.

When I finally got home I was knocked out on the couch within seconds. I remember dropping my luggage near the door and plopping down on the first thing I saw.

Later someone woke me up for dinner. I muttered something then rolled over. I was out again. I was really tired. Between the most intense competition of my life, Jackson dropping huge news on me, and being on TV, I guess it's safe to say I'm worn out.

The next morning I woke up in my bed. I don't know how, but what I do know is I got some serious Zs last night. We got back in Denver around 5:00 pm. I slept from then until now. I still had on the clothes I flew in, my hair was rough and my voice hoarse. I forced myself up and to the shower. Carly wasn't awake yet so I didn't have to battle through her never ending clutter. The hot water felt amazing. Even though I slept well, my bones were still tired, the shower kind of gave me a jump start. I was in there maybe fifteen minutes. Long enough to get everything done before Carly was banging on the door. She was relentless when it came to making herself look decent in the morning. I turned the knob to stop the water. My towel was hanging on the rack, I grabbed it and wrapped it around my waist. Carly continued knocking and telling me to hurry. I tried to look at myself in the mirror but it had fogged. Rather than wiping it down I decided to let Carly inside, she was starting to annoy me.

"Finally." she let out. She made her way inside the bathroom before I could even step a foot out. "Oh yeah, congratulations."

"Thanks." I said, scooting past her.

"BTW, you looked nice on WUA. Everyone at school was talking about it." I didn't know if I should feel good that everyone watched the show, or worried that she referred to it as WUA.

I just smiled and walked off to my room. The hallway's air was cool to my wet skin. I didn't have to go outside to tell that today was going to be chilly. My room was a little warmer. I dried myself off as quickly as possible to refrain from getting a cold.

I told myself that I had to dress nice today. My first appearance in public after being on television has to be an eventful one. Then I thought Jackson is probably going to come in sneakers, jeans, and a hoodie. So I met in the middle. While in my boxers I found a suitable set of clothes for the day. A pair of white Nike sneakers, faded jeans, and a purple henley with a hood.

While I got dressed I could hear the rest of the house rustling to get themselves together. I think Christian had a field trip or something today. My mom was still here packing his lunch while fighting with him to get his clothes on. He was always a handful in the morning, hell, he's a handful when ever he's awake. I don't understand why my mom waited until Kyle, Carly, and I were older to have another kid. She's going on fifty and still negotiating with a 2nd grader about putting a pudding cup or carrot sticks in his lunch sack. I guess once we're all out of the house she'll finally get her long needed rest.

Once I was dressed I began packing my duffle bag. I still needed to brush my teeth, comb my hair, and other school-prep things. While I was stuffing my grips in my bag I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Let's just say I thought I was Mufasa from Lion King. My hair was a train wreck, and I'm being generous with my choice of words. It was still sort of damp from the shower and nappy from stirring in my sleep. I rubbed a hand through it like that would help.

The sound of the doorbell ringing brought me back to my senses. I had no idea who it could be. I don't recall anyone ever coming to our house this early. Logan did once, but it was only because he thought he left that cluttered journal of his in my room. I tried to listen for a voice but I could only hear my mom arguing with Christian.